From: Keith Addison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 10:56 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] Salt and NaOH

Dunno if you remember this, on making NaOH from table salt.
http://cator.hsc.edu/~kmd/caveman/projects/chloralkali/slideshow/index.html

You end up with hydrogen and chlorine, which I guess you could turn
into hydrochloric acid, not sure quite how though (nor how to
concentrate it after that). Anyone have any ideas on that?

I was thinking you could use HCl instead of phosphoric to neutralize
the glycerin layer, as here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycsep.html
Separating glycerine/FFAs

You'd end up with more table salt - sodium chloride instead of sodium
phosphate - which you could turn into more NaOH. Does that make any
sense? This might help close the loop, and phosphoric is expensive.
Traditionally soapstock is acidulated with strong sulphuric acid, but
since phosphoric works just as well HCl should be okay, though I'm
not sure about safety considerations.

I don't know if any of this works - this NaOH from salt would be wet,
I don't know if drying it would leave you with a pure enough product
(not carbonated?), but it's interesting.

There's also this:

"Thus an equimolar amount of calcium chloride may be directly added
to the soapstock and prompt separation of the calcium soap by
precipitation from a relatively pure saline (NaCl) solution will
ensue. Calcium soaps are useful industrial ingredients, for instance
as demoulding agents."

More table salt. And Dubbin, quite nice. Seems to work equally well
with the glyc layer, glycerine and all.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.