Movember wrote:

>Following some pretty serious scaremongering over the past few
>months, the oil companies have launched an intense campaign at the
>service station level to denigrate the use of ethanol in the Greater
>Sydney/Wollongong Basin.
>
>The tactics being employed are similar to those used by the oil
>majors in the U.S.over twenty years ago. Currently BP, Shell, Caltex
>and Woolworth's are running "no ethanol in our petrol" type ads at
>badged service stations.

Hi Mike

Seems to be quite a campaign, and I'm not at all surprised to see
David Pimentel's oft-debunked BS on ethanol roped into it. Pimentel
and Federal Agriculture Minister Warren Truss were interviewed on
radio recently, see below. I found Truss's website and tried to send
him a message pointing him to the Pimentel debunkings at our site:
http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_energy.html
Is ethanol energy-efficient?

See also:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_food.html
Biofuels - Food or Fuel?

But it didn't work. :-( If you know how to contact him, maybe you could do it?

Regards

Keith

http://www.abc.net.au/am/s687229.htm
AM - 27/9/2002:

Claim ethanol production uneconomic

AM - Friday, September  27, 2002 8:08

LINDA MOTTRAM: An example of the competing tensions for a treasurer
is soon to come before Federal Cabinet in the form of ethanol, and
the push to force petrol producers here to include ethanol in their
product.

The National Party is pushing particularly hard for the measure,
having convinced the government to promote ethanol as a viable
domestic industry and an extra market for the nation's struggling
cane farmers.

But an international expert says it's just politics, advising against
it with a warning that ethanol production will never be economic.

 From Canberra, Alexandra Kirk reports.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: The Government's pushing full steam ahead to promote
a local ethanol industry, still under consideration and heavily
backed by the Nationals, a compulsory level of ethanol in our fuel.

But Professor of Ecology at Cornell University in New York State,
David Pimentel, says ever since he chaired a study for the US
Department of Energy in 1980 he's found it to be uneconomic. He says
all ethanol industries are subsidised and the worst part is most of
the money goes to big business, not farmers.

He thinks taxpayers money would be better spent on cleaner, alternative fuels.

DAVID PIMENTEL: There is no indication anywhere in the world where
ethanol production is economic and/ or energy positive at all. In
fact, all ethanol production has been subsidised.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: But unlike the US and Brazil, the Australian
Government isn't planning to subsidise the ethanol industry here.
They've imposed the same excises as on petrol and they're giving it
back to domestic producers in the form of a subsidy. You don't think
it could be profitable under those circumstances?

DAVID PIMENTEL: If they are subsidised, then the producers can make a
go of it, but if it's not subsidised, ethanol production cannot
compete with gasoline or diesel fuel.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: Under any circumstances you think?

DAVID PIMENTEL: Under any circumstances in any data that I have seen.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: So why do you think it is though that countries are
willing to support a locally based ethanol industry?

DAVID PIMENTEL: To be frank, it's politics and big money.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: So when the Australian Government says that it is
considering what level of ethanol it should make compulsory in fuel,
what would your advice be?

DAVID PIMENTEL: My advice would be no, do not make ethanol additions
to gasoline mandatory at all.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: But Agriculture Minister and National Party MP,
Warren Truss, thinks the Professor is far too pessimistic.

WARREN TRUSS: The reality is it is used in increasing quantities in
many countries around the world. The United States has just
legislated to increase the amount of ethanol used in their fuel mix
and I think that there is enormous potential for the ethanol industry
also in Australia.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: Do you think that the only way you can continue to
have an ethanol industry here is to subsidise it?

WARREN TRUSS: Well it depends obviously on what oil prices are around
the world. As oil prices go higher, the attractiveness of ethanol
increases and clearly, in the United States, they have cheaper oil
prices than we do, they are more self-sufficient than we will be in
oil, particularly in the next decade, and so the case for ethanol in
Australia is much stronger than it is in the United States.

LINDA MOTTRAM: Federal Agriculture Minister Warren Truss speaking to
Alexandra Kirk in Canberra.

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/FGYolB/TM