creeble,

Someone just mentioned the Isuzu pup/Chevy Luv pickup which I completely
forgot about. I have owned one of these in the mid-1980's and they are
bullet-proof. I picked it up with 80k on it from a neighbor's father who was
an electrical contractor for $900 with a cap. The cap I turned around and
sold for $300. I ran that $600 truck for five years until the frame and body
just disintegrated around the motor/drivetrain, then sold it for $1200 with
a $100 parts truck to a couple of guys who carried them to South America
where they were restored. That's my "great deal" vehicle story.

You can find these Isuzu diesel trucks, it just takes a lot of concerted
effort and a lots of patience and you may have to travel across country to
get it or have it shipped site unseen. I searched for over a year to locate
my Isuzu Trooper turbo diesel and lucked out. I stumbled across it in the
first three hours of a seven day auction period on Ebay. I did a "Buy Now"
and paid $1500, but it did have new tires, new radiator, new alternator and
several other misc new parts. Oh, the best part was that it was only an
hour's drive from me to Brooklyn, NY: not a cross-country jaunt to
Washington state. I did the twin tank conversion and have been running WVO
in it.
The guy up the street from me has a friend who just got a new Chevy Duramax
pickup which cost him over $40k. It's not the new body cat-eyes front-end
style, but the older 2000 body style, and for all intent and purpose, it's
the same body style as the used $12-$15k gas pickups that you see running
around. It's a pickup truck for God's sake!

I refuse to accept the choices that are being given out by Detroit and
Texas. I'm going this weekend to look at another Isuzu turbo/diesel. Lot's
of rust so I'll just drop the motor and transmission into a primo gas body.
The 1st generation gas Isuzu Trooper motors were notorious for blowing the
head gaskets, so the bodies are all over the place.
By the way, an Isuzu Trooper turbo/diesel just sold on Ebay several days ago
for, I think, around $2500-2700.

Good luck on the hunt and if you are looking for a Mercedes there is a group
that talks a lot about these cars at: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
for Isuzu there is the www.itog.com group.

Jess

Jesse Parris  |  studio53  |  graphics / web design  |  stamford, ct  |
203.324.4371
www.jesseparris.com/