Just went to the seminar with Ianto Evans promoting his book "The Hand
Sculpted House" and it was excellent.  He showed pics of what a stick
frame built house looks like after mother nature takes over and what a cob
structure looks like (very organic, mud back to mud).  I started reading
some of the book when I got home because his talk was so engaging.  A very
humane way to build!!  I am hoping to go to one of the workshops in the
future.

http://www.deatech.com/cobcottage/

http://www.deatech.com/cobcottage/handsculpt.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890132349/002-7931199-6777645

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1890132349.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I heard it noted recently that Californians spend almost 80% of their time
indoors.  Interesting since the climate out here is one of the best in the
US.

James Slayden

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

> I have found statistics that say for every three new houses built, one
> goes in the landfill, labor being more expensive than materials.  This
> being true, many of us have figured out how to build with the landfill
> materials.  There is a list dedicated to this topic,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> One man has started a movement to use landfill rescue to build homes for
> low income working families using minimum wage help.  His crew are
> usually young men that were at risk and after a year or two with him,
> they get hired by the big contractors.  His web site is
> phoenixcommotion.com
>
> Congratulations on trying to reduce the waste and build sensibly, not an
> easy task with building codes, banks and insurance companies involved.
>
> Bright Blessings,
> Kim
>
> robert luis rabello wrote:
>
> > Hello Everyone!
> >
> >     It's been five months since I've been able to post here.  My wife
> > and I have built a new house, and not only have I learned a lot about
> > the building process, I've been astonished at how much waste and
> > inefficiency goes into putting up a home.
> >
> >     1.  Builders love concrete.  We used WAY more concrete than I
> > believed we would when we first considered this project.  I'm not
> > certain we could have done much better than we did because our property
> > slopes considerably, but concrete manufacturing is VERY energy
> intensive
> > and next time we'll have to be more careful about property selection.
> > Any ideas about alternatives out there?
> >
> >     2.  The amount of waste generated by a building is simply
> > astonishing!  I own a Ford Ranger with a short wheelbase and a small
> > box.  I filled the thing 4 times with dimensional lumber cut too short
> > for use, and hauled all of it out to my father in law so that he could
> > mix it with his firewood this winter.  (Generally speaking, dimensional
> > lumber is so dry that it burns too quickly for a clean fire and
> > therefore produces excessive smoke.)  Surely gasification or clean
> > pyrolysis would be much better alternatives than the landfill, where
> all
> > of our oriented strand board, drywall, carpet scraps and other waste
> > ended up.  What's worse, is that our tradesmen kept saying that we
> > actually had very little waste. . .  Some of the houses going up around
> > here have huge dumpsters that get filled more than once during the
> > building!  (I had asked the architect who drew our plans to minimize
> > waste by making room sizes as close to standard dimensions as possible.
> > We ended up with a bigger house for less money that way.  Strange,
> isn't
> > it?)
> >
> >     3.  There's a certain "momentum" in doing things the "conventional"
> > way.  The lender at our credit union looked at me as if I was crazy
> when
> [...]

ˇFREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM