I know a local grad student who is as obsessed with methane digesters as I
am with biodiesel.  ('cept that he's getting whatever grad students get in
financial aid for it and I rarely get anything and my topic of interest is
simpler).his name is Karl Hartmann at UC Davis in the agricultural
engineering department. His work is with crop wastes, not human waste,
though, although it all applies as far as I can tell.

Otherwise, I did hear of someone else's version of a human
waste-fueled  methane digester that used a marine toilet (macerator toilet,
yup, it does what you think it does, grind up poop into little itty bitty
pieces) in place of the house's conventional toilet. it';s probably more
energy-intensive to go out and buy and electrify a macerator (they are 12 v
though) than, say, composting human waste as a way to deal with it, but
getting energy from the stuff is enticing to geeks like us no doubt.