Csakima,
While not every electronic voting system is secure, in fact in recent
years several such systems have been developed and are being used
throughout the United States.

If you'd like to learn more about auditable voting systems I'd suggest
you start with the following paper which I ran across
http://www.win.tue.nl/xootic/magazine/jul-2000/schoenmakers.pdf it
provides a nice intro to recent developments.

Two keys to making a system secure are probably distributed trust and
auditability.

Distributed trust means you put several people in charge of it so that
no one person can subvert it (your rich mouse clicker).  When subversion
requires conspiracy and coordinated effort it becomes much more
diffuclt.   Using distributed servers allows you to distribute the trust
easily and putting people from different parties in charge of different
machines makes conspiracies more difficult, for you conspiracy buffs and
fellow paranoids we could even run your own set so we'd know who was out
to get us :^).

The next most important feature is probably to make it easily auditable.
 This is accompished by giving each person a cryptographicall secure
balot reciept (probably paper) that they can type into the server and
have the server confirm that their votes are being/where counted
correctly.  If you want to audit the system you start with a statistical
sampling,  if your random sample is close enough to you final tallies
you should probably go home but it doesn't have to stop there you could
arrange for everyone to go to the "recount" web sites and type thier
reciepts in.

Would this be a perfect and unsubvertable system?  No but I do believe
we can do better than we do now.  Probably mor e geek speak than most of
this group wants.   I have been doing computer security work for a
little over a decade if you want more information I'd suggest the
following goole search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=auditable+computer+voting+systems

Hope this wasn't to geeky for those of you who just want some biofuel!

Kenneth Kron
Ex. Internet Security Geek
Becoming a biofuel geek with lots of assistance from this list!