Hi Hakan, Joel

>Dear Joel,
>
>This information was provided earlier by Keith as an argument
>on this issues. Since it is the round for last word, I like to
>clarify my understanding of the discussion.
>
>Motie who is deeply involved with forest management in the area
>where he lives, have some local and particular problems. This
>has to do with how his particular forest works and how different
>interest groups acts with regards to his forest. When I say his
>forest, I mean the forest that he has interest in. Motie made it
>clear from the outset of the discussion, that he was talking
>about his forest and his opinion of what happened there.
>
>Discussing the issue from the outside, made me bringing up
>several points about forest management that was within my
>knowledge and experiences. During this exchange, I became
>fully convinced that Motie knew very well what he talked about
>and he was a responsible and caring representative for the
>forest management interests in his forest. I did of course not
>know his forest and my arguments and convictions had in this
>case to be of general nature.
>
>Keith who is a knowledgeable man in this field, picked up on
>the global aspect, but not without first recognizing Motie's
>competence and that he was the best one to talk for his
>forest.
>
>Said this, I like to add the following last words,
>
>Our nature is a sensitive environment that through millions
>of years developed a balance between the species. When
>some species started to dominate to a level that was not
>sustainable, things happened on both short and long term
>that corrected it. We now have a specie that are growing
>out of proportion, we call them humans and on short term the
>nature already started to try to apply corrections, long term
>nature will succeed.

We're several distinct species now Hakan, or varieties rather. There
have been a number of reports recently on adverse effects of
"primitive" societies on their environment. I'm not convinced that
these changes indicate unsustainability. First, there haven't been
any primitive societies for thousands of years, though we might now
regard their technology and their level of "development" as primitive
compared with ours (and is it really? - depends on the criteria, and
the jury's still out on our criteria). The traditional societies have
the accumulated experience of hundreds of generations and are all
very sophisticated in their relations with their environments, not
primitive.

Second, there certainly have been societies that failed to maintain a
balance with their environments. See for instance "Conquest of the
Land Through Seven Thousand Years" by W. C. Lowdermilk, 1939:
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#lowdermilk

Societies have failed to do it, and vanished, whole civilizations
have failed, tribes have failed. But humanity quite clearly hasn't
failed. These lessons are all there to be learnt, the failures and
the successes.

The great majority of humans still live in comparative harmony with
their environments. So, who doesn't? First and foremost, glaringly,
industrialized man doesn't. Industrialized man wants and takes an
unsustainable share of resources, and, not unnaturally, that's also
an inequitable share. I haven't checked, but maybe there's about a
billion of them, though within that billion are many whose lives are
not particularly unsustainable, nor particularly greedy.

Then, at the other end of the scale, are the victims of the inequity,
whose lives are unsustainable because they are too poor and hungry to
survive, though they're too powerless to have that much of an adverse
effect on the environment - certainly not when compared with the
industrialized billion. Again, there are about a billion of them, or
rather more. That leaves more than 4 billion. A lot of them live in
cities which are not very sustainable, but again, a lot of those
don't live particularly unsustainable lives. So we're left with a
majority that's not doing too badly, and neither is the environment
because of them.

Cities - city man is more or less a different species. Is he though?
It depends on the city. London, just to feed itself - or be fed
rather, like a helpless infant - needs an area bigger than Britain,
and the food isn't the half of it. But many 3rd World cities more or
less feed themselves, via city farms. It's estimated that London
could also do that. I'd say it's going to have to, along with all the
other big-baby cities. What do you find there? What I find is waste
waste waste, needless, wasteful, murderous waste. Sloppy, lazy,
stupid, and, indeed, primitive.

What kind of "humans" do this? Is it a type of human we're talking
about at all, or just a human institution, or institutions? There've
been big cities for a very long time that weren't particularly
unsustainable. What's changed? I'd say the major factor is corporate
interest - out of control corporations, that usually know perfectly
well what they're doing, plus not very accountable bureaucracies that
naturally ally with them. They employ humans, but they themselves are
not human. Much or most of our unsustainability must be ascribed to
them and to their influence over us and control of us and what we do.

The question is, do we need them? Can we - we industrialized ones -
survive without them? Or, can they be controlled? If controlled and
brought firmly - very firmly! - back into the realms of responsible
behaviour, how distant then would the goal of sustainability be for
our societies? And what changes, how much change, would achieving it
require? The challenge of our era.

>The impact of the humans is severe and during a very short
>time period they have caused enormous damages. Its survival
>will be totally dependent on responsible and sustainable
>management of nature. If we leave the solutions to nature,
>it will be very painful for the future humans that have to take
>the consequences of todays excesses.

Mostly not for the 3-4 billion who're not doing too badly, but
certainly for the billion at either end of the scale. But of course
the problems have been spilling over for quite some time, like global
warming. It sure is one world. But maybe most would still survive and
be able to reestablish a balance.

>The environmentalist that wants to leave things only to
>nature, must also belive in the natural thinning of the human
>population.

That's not a majority environmentalist view, but many of those people
do want that, yes. Junk science. I've seen estimates of the Earth's
"carrying capacity" ranging from a low of 500 million to a high of 32
billion. It's been said here - if the industrialized nations turn to
growing biofuels, that will condemn millions in the poor countries to
starvation. Why? The biofuels will replace the food the
industrialized nations now provide to these basket-case countries.
However, soy and corn, for instance, feed rich cattle mostly, and
poor people vanishingly little, but that fails to impress them.
America is the world's biggest-ever food importer, with much of it
coming from these same poor countries, and the other industrialized
countries aren't far behind, but that also fails to impress. That is
exactly what David Pimentel claims, in the face of all evidence.

>They should fight against medicines, transport,
>feeding starving people and all the other things that work
>against the natural control of the human population.

I'd say they should fight against what makes the unsustainable
sectors so unsustainable, but oh so often, though they themelves
invariably belong to that sector, they point instead at
"overpopulation" in the 3rd World. It's very odd indeed how it
escapes them so thoroughly that, first, poverty is still growing
faster than the population is in the poor areas, and that, second,
reducing poverty invariably reduces population growth, and
environmental damage with it, as the two things, overpopulation and
environmental damage, are very largely both symptoms of poverty in
these regions, and that's the real problem. And the major cause of it
is exploitation. The poor have to support the rich, as always. While
the rich blame the poor, as always.

>Personally I prefer a managed sustainable world, even
>if it is no chance that I will ever see it. But we all have to
>work against this goal and show some kind of responsibility
>in trying to find a comfortable level for future humans or at least
>give them a chance to survive.

We're the problem. We have to take care not to ascribe the damage we
do to the whole of humanity, and we're not very good at it.

"This Ecological Footprints of Nations 2002 issue brief reports on
the ecological impact of 146 nations." There's still a lot wrong with
footprinting, but it gets better, and it's a useful indicator. See:
http://www.RedefiningProgress.org/media/releases/021125_efnations.html
http://www.RedefiningProgress.org/publications/ef1999.pdf.

"The global Ecological Footprint in 1999 (the latest year for which
data is available) is 5.6 global acres, while the Earth's biocapacity
was 4.7 global acres. The United States recorded an Ecological
Footprint of 24.0 global acres, nearly doubling its national
biocapacity of 13.0 global acres."

"At a population of 10 billion, there would be merely 2.8 global
acres [1.1 hectares] of biocapacity available per person, less than
what people use today in Indonesia or Peru."

In 1907, the estimable Prof. F.H. King of the USDA found in China "a
maintenance capacity ... of 240 people, 24 donkeys and 24 pigs to one
of our [US] 40-acre farms which our farmers regard as too small for a
single family." That's six per acre, 15 per hectare. Far from
grinding poverty and misery, King found cheerful and hardworking
people. In Japan he found a population rate of more than three people
to each acre (7.5 per hectare), "and yet the total agricultural
imports into Japan in 1907 exceeded the agricultural exports by less
than one dollar per capita". Again he didn't find grinding poverty
and misery.

It's been shown the the Chinese traditional farming system in use in
both China and Japan then, and still in use throughout east and
southeast Asia today (including Indonesia), is characterized by (1)
high productivity of land, (2) negligible use of fossil fuel energy,
(3) negligible pollution of the environment, and (4) high use of
labour. (Labour use can also be low, however, very flexible.) A
comparison with modern Western (ie industrialized) methods found the
opposite, in all four cases. It was also proposed that the Chinese
system was relevant to production throughout the tropics, and is
increasingly being used throughout the tropics in various forms.
(Backhurst 1983, et al.) My own work has confirmed this, and not just
for the tropics - it is an infinitely adaptible system. In fact it's
rather similar to modern organic growing systems such as John
Jeavons's Biointinsive system, now being used with success in many
tropical areas, along with other such systems, including Fukuoka's
from Japan - successful especially when happily married with
traditional techniques. Food production and fuel production fit
together easily in such systems.

I think it would be quite easy to make such a critique of all the
other aspects of the alleged unsustainability of humans.

What if we started applying real science to these matters, really
turned the full weight of our scientific and technological might to
the problems of sustainability - instead of subjugating nearly all of
it, and the necessary resources along with it, to furthering
corporate interests and the military? Or just frittering it away.
Here's one example, from a previous message:

"American and European annual expenditure on pet food: $17 billion
per year. Estimated annual cost of providing universal healthcare and
nutrition for everyone in the world: $13 billion per year." - United
Nations Development Programme, Human Development Report, 1998.
http://www.undp.org/hdro/1998/98.htm)

That's relevant, considering the link between poverty on the one hand
and population growth and environmental damage on the other.

Anyway, the environmentalists who want to thin out the population
(other people's mainly) may not be a metaphor for the
environmentalists' attitude to trees and forests. I think the fringe
that wants to remove the humans from the "pristine" forests is just a
fringe. Maybe it's the same fringe as the one that wants to think out
the people. Most environmentalists involved in forest issues want
management, but they want real management, not just a cover for
exploitation.

The 1% in the GAO report is interesting. Who is it exactly that is
blowing up such a big fuss over such a minor issue? And now new laws
are being pushed through that play on those very (mis)perceptions.
Hm. Reminds me of the message I posted a few days back, "Sound
familiar? - Global Smokescreen", on the oil industry's "Global
Climate Science Communications Action Plan" campaign of four years
ago.

regards

Keith