----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 22:54
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Just one man's observation! Was: Looking at the
RESPONSE ... too all that's going onin the world.

> I wouldn't bank on it. I'd say they're able enough, not half-starved,
> and that the great majority are true-believers.

While they many or all may be true-believers, it is due to the way they have
been treated by their own government.  All the TVs and radios, have been
altered by the government, so that the only broadcasting that will be picked
up is the there own governments, they have no internet, no communication
with the outside world at all, other that what their own government allows
them (even China, is broad open in comparison). As to half-starved, it's
true, many of the troops joined because of the way the food is rationed,
virtually all of it goes to the government and the military.  The North
Korean troops are on average 3-4 inches shorter than their South Korean
cousins.  This is a big change from 50 years ago, and I doubt that it is due
to genetic drift.

The South Koreans
> also think that, and they're in a position to know. Both sides are as
> tough as nails. I was talking to some South Koreans a couple of weeks
> ago, military reservists. They were describing the rigours of their
> army training, incredible - and deemed necessary if they're to
> counter the North.

You had better believe the South Koreans are tough as nails, and it's not
just the way they train.  For a while, my father was the USAF Senior
Security Officer in South Korea, and he told me about a couple of reports,
that came across his desk.

In one report, it seems a South Korean officer came across a combined
outpost ( combined being jointly manned by a South Korean and an American )
and found both of the men were sound asleep, the South Korean officer
quietly awoke the American and sent him back to his unit, then after the
American left, shot the South Korean in his sleep, for dereliction of duty.

In the other report, an South Korean that was backing a fuel truck up next
to an American F-16, bumped the wing. While it did put a small dent on it,
it did not affect the operational status of the aircraft ( it could still
fly and fight if necessary ).  The driver of truck got out and looked at
what happened, shook his head pulled the truck forward a bit, then got on
the radio, then got out of the truck and stood at attention.  About 45 min.
later ( the truck driver had been standing at attention the entire time ) a
South Korean NCO showed up on a bicycle, looked at the aircraft, and then
started chewing the driver a few new ones.  After about 10 min. of chewing
out the NCO reached down grabbed the pair of wheel chocks for the aircraft
(at about 30 lbs. each ), and slammed them into the side of the drivers
head, dropping the driver were he stood, dropped the wheel chocks, got on
the bicycle, and left.  The driver was out for the better part of an hour,
before someone showed up and took him away.

> >have heard that some UN people consider as it stands now, there is no
clear
> >cut winner.
>
> That's about right. The numbers difference is probably made up by the
> South's better equipment. What happens when two ace fighters, highly
> skilled, superbly fit and evenly matched, fight to the death? Not
> nice to watch.

Agreed, it comes down to who makes the first unrecoverable mistake, a matter
of luck I guess. I will admit, that if it was not a life and death issue,
the skill displayed, would be a thing of beauty.

> It's a powder-keg, another one, and very much best left to the locals
> to sort it out - South Korea, Japan, China. Blundering superpowers
> with all the diplomatic skills of a bull terrier who think it's a
> useful sideshow very much NOT REQUIRED, thankyou.

Unfortunately I think that that fact that we have such an large exposure in
that part of the pacific is drawing us in, not to mention our alliance with
South Korea.  Have we been the long term victim of another slick willey
attempt at trying to look good?  Perhaps.  I think that what he did,
certainly didn't help make things any better for the future.

Now we have to deal with it.  The question is,  "How?"  Do we cave in like
Clinton did?  I think that would be a bad example, and set future precedent
for blackmail of the worst kind.  Do we work with the local nations?  A good
chance of working I think. China does have influence with  North Korea
despite what they say.  I have heard some people say we should give China a
free hand with North Korea in exchange for leaving Taiwan alone. I don't
know, perhaps South Korea would prefer China as a neighbor as apposed to
North Korea. I think the people of North Korea would be better off with
China in charge.  It seams to me that China is better in the humanitarian
dept. and being open with other nations, than North Korea's current
government, but then again my opinion is based on what I understand about
the two nations.

Greg H.