I have been _very_ interested in 2-cycle diesels because of their high
power/weight ratio. The concern was that they "smoke too much" but
modern designs eliminate a lot of the soot, and clean fuels of course
reduce emissions immensely.
I want to design a small two cycle diesel, but as fate would have it I'm
in school for electrical engineering, not mechanical.
Though I do subscribe to the hobbicast list [metal casting, check
infoarchive.net if interested]

---
Martin Klingensmith
nnytech.net