  From: Keith Addison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 11:55 AM
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] PENTAGON THREATENS TO KILL INDEPENDANT REPORTERS IN
IRAQ

  Hello Vern

  >I did not say anything about the role or importance of the Press,

  No, other than that if they get in the military's way that's just too
  bad, the military's got more important things to do than taking a bit
  of care not to kill journalists.

  >I will
  >leave that for others with more direct knowledge to sort out. To put my
  >statement in simpler terms if a reporter is with the troops and he finds
  >himself in the middle of a live fire fight and he decides to stand up to
  >take pictures he may well get shot.

  Many journalists are killed every year in the course of duty (*their*
  duties). They take that risk, which is a rather different thing to
  the Pentagon threatening to kill them, wouldn't you say?

  >In todays war if you radiate you will
  >be just like standing up, and you may get hit.

  In any war that's always been the case. You've changed your stance a
  bit - are you still defending the Pentagon's "right" to threaten to
  kill independent journalists in Iraq?

  Keith

  >Vern
  >

  > >I think the point is that anyone who is in a war zone and feels the
need
  > >emit radio frequency radiation should expect to be soon visited by
  >incoming
  > >rounds or bombs. The military is not going to have the time to sort it
out
  > >or take the risk of letting it continue. It is just asking to get hit.
  > >
  > >Vern
  >
  >You also seem to misunderstand what a journalist's job is, Vern. The
  >military is NOT more important than the press. They will have to make
  >the time, like it or not, inconvenient or not. The recent trend
  >hasn't showing them doing that. So the recent trend must change, not
  >the press and their role.
  >
  >Keith Addison
  >

  > >Andrew Preston -- Said:
  > > You seem to misunderstand what, in truth, a journalist's real job is.
  > >
  > >On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:20:16 -0500, "Steve Spence"
  > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
  > > > I can understand the pentagons concern for the reasonable
possibility
  > > > that
  > > > the Iraqi's could use the information being broadcast against us.
That
  > > > does
  > > > not excuse their reported unconcern for the journalists lives. The
  > > > journalists should also take into consideration that what they
report
  > > > could
  > > > be detrimental to our efforts. If their reporting causes additional
  >harm
  > > > our servicemen, then yes, the uplink sites need to be taken out.
  > > >

  > >--
  > >Andrew Preston
  >
  > >yellowjuice2001 wrote:
  > >
  > > >http://www.gulufuture.com/news/kate_adie030310.htm