So anyone with a satellite up-link is fair game? Any short wave radio
operator is fair game? Anyone with a cellular phone?

No. What's being espoused is a fine piece of indiscriminantly callous and
cowardly bullshit, whether the words come from a pentagon slug or someone in
the public sector supporting such a tactic. These modes of communications
can easily be monitored in literally mili-seconds and "critiqued for
content" in the blink of but a few eyelashes.

Just because a particular com link has not been registered on a US military
log prior to conflict does not give cause or justification to shoot first
and ask questions later. Can you imagine how many "friendlies" could be
taken out if such an across the board policy were implemented? What if that
communication was to inform of hostile activity or mis-directed fire? Or any
of a number of other types of communication that could ameliorate or prevent
negative impact?

Again, no. This is an attempt to command and control the press in advance,
something that is beyond the scope of US control by any other means than
intimidation - if not outright extortion - intended to create fear (erego
self-imposed censoring) on the part of reporters for their lives, well
beyond what already exists in a battle zone.

It should be recognized for what it is, not so off handedly white-washed and
dismissed for what it isn't.

Todd Swearingen