Dear Vern,

I am glad that you are anti war also. Josh Cohen expressed a very
large trust in the members of this list when he said that it was 100%
anti war, something that I belive also. It is a large trust in the list
members to say so, but if you say that they are not, then you will
have an argument with our Shepherd. Do you really think that you
could offend the list members without hearing from Keith? Even if
it might be a misunderstanding created by the moment.

My position is that what happens now is wrong and against some
very fundamental principles. The fundamental principle of the wrong
in preemptive wars are so important, that it overrides any other
argument that can be made for the current illegal attack on Iraq by
US and UK. It does not exclude that we can have discussions
about the moment and wonder how and why Bush/Blair got it so
wrong. It is also very sad that the US propaganda machine works
so well as it does. It is a hidden agenda there and it is the US
desperate need for securing oil supplies and the US/UK oil companies
wish to participate in developing what might be the largest oil
reserves on Earth.

Bush/Blair are talking about the fund of oil money that will be used
for the Iraqi people. They are taking us for idiots and hope that it
will obscure how it is working. It is not a matter of escaping from
paying for the oil, it is a matter of getting their hands on the only
tap that is not yet fully open.  By doing that they can control world
market prices and continue to pillage the gold of Middle East at
$25 a barrel.

It cannot be a continuation of the war 12 years ago, since that
was a liberation of Kuweit by UN and the mandate only covered
this. That is why it stopped when the mandate was achieved.
It was supported by a world opinion and was a response on
an attack by Iraq. It had democratic decisions behind it and
created and performed in a legal fashion.

What scares me a lot is the parallels with what happened in
Germany in the 1930's and I pointed that out in an early stage.
I am no alone and MH gave us a very interesting link that goes
along the same lines,

Published on Sunday, March 16, 2003 by CommonDreams.org
When Democracy Failed: The Warnings of History
by Thom Hartmann

Unfortunately the events are now running the course and we
will probably only be able to discuss how we should get
Bush/Blair to answer for their crimes in the future. To
discuss how we should prosecute Saddam Hussein  for
his crimes will probably not be possible.

Hakan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM