> >Kim writes:
> >
> > >Actually I have 20, but there is not enough land in
> > >this world for everyone to have 20.  We need to put
> > >the people somewhere.
> >
> >Your post just made me want to get out the old
> >calculator! You're absolutely right, at least by my
> >calculations :-) I get only 3.2 acres of land per
> >person (at 10 billion pop.). Considering how many
> >people are going to want to hang onto their 10,000,
> >that doesn't leave much for the rest.
> >
> >Maybe we need, like, 10%, or maybe 1%, of what
> >we have now for population. Talk about extreme
> >engineering  :-(           -K
>
>Have another look Ken, you're not seeing it clearly - that's not the
>answer at all.
>
>Keith

Further to which... (we've been doing this for more than 20 years, or
rather our own version of it):

GROW BIOINTENSIVE Mini - Farming

This miniaturization of agriculture is not new. Small-scale,
sustainable agriculture has supported such widely dispersed
civilizations as the Chinese 4,000 years ago [and still - K], and the
Mayans, South Americans, and Greeks 2,000 years ago.

Ecology Action has dedicated almost a quarter-century to
rediscovering the scientific principles that underlie these
traditional systems. The people in Biosphere II in Arizona have been
using techniques based on those outlined by Ecology Action: they
raised 80 percent of their food for two years within a "closed
system." Their experience demonstrates that a complete year's diet
for one person can be raised on the equivalent of 3,403 square feet!

This is an improvement over traditional Chinese practices, which
required 5,000 to 7,200 square feet. In contrast, it takes commercial
agriculture 22,000 to 42,000 square feet to grow all the food for one
person for one year, while bringing in large inputs from other areas.
At the same time, commercial agricultural practices are causing the
loss of approximately six pounds of soil for each pound of food
produced. [It's causing a LOT more harm than that. - K]

GROW BIOINTENSIVE mini-farming techniques make it possible to grow
food using 99 percent less energy in all forms - human and
mechanical, 66 percent to 88 percent less water, and 50 percent to
100 percent less fertilizer, compared to commercial agriculture. They
also produce two to six times more food and build the soil.

[more]

From:
http://www.growbiointensive.org/biointensive/InContext.html#context
Ecology Action - Cultivating Our Garden

See also:
http://www.growbiointensive.org/biointensive/GROW-BIOINTENSIVE.html
The GROW BIOINTENSIVE Food-Raising Method

See also (or maybe instead):
http://journeytoforever.org/farm.html
Small farms: Journey to Forever
Introduction