>It's a fairy tale.  There is no way to free up that much
>Hydrogen without input of massive amounts of ENERGY.

This will be not so much a response to a specific post, but I am more
just using the subject header as a foil for a few thoughts.... just my
personal opinions, and certainly at times at odds with those of many
EV drivers and writers.

Many EV California drivers and readers know that there were some
stinging falsehoods mixed in with the truth as to why we don't have
EVs for sale here.  In short, EVs were not brought to market in any
real way, but the auto companies "concluded" that they were neither
financially viable nor wanted, without actually trying, as much as
they could have done, to sell them.

The reaction of many EV fans to the fuel cell discussions has
sometimes been completely black-and-white negative.  But I disagree
with this.  I think fuel cells could be an important part of the
future of transportation, as well as powering smaller devices (such as
the laptop on which this is being composed... as it runs on battery
power).  In particular, fuel cells hold out the hope of efficient
transformation of liquid fuel to useable electricity.  This is
critical because most of the proposed liquid fuels are so much more
energy dense than batteries that it isn't funny (at least that's my
take on their capacity).

I don't think we'd have to sit here and have these well-intended
armchair debates as to the pros and cons of this or that exotic fuel
or battery scheme if the fuel and car industry were somewhat more
genuinely capitalistically competitive, but I"m not sure that it is.

I'm not so much an "environmentalist" as a fan of technology, human
industry, invention... finding newer and better ways to solve
engineering challenges and finding the business effort and creativity
to make them happen.  This is why I have been trying to spend some
time over the last few years on the EV question.... because the lack
of real effort to bring EVs to a real market... and the lack of
honesty, were clues to me that a real competitive situation was one
that perhaps did not quite exist.

So, while we could do with some help from the markets in trying to
decide our debates, my personal guestimate is that, indeed, fuel cells
*may* play some important role in our future transportation needs, if
we can ever get the fuel and car industries to be a bit more honestly
competitive. It is hard for me to predict precisely what the role will
be, because it is not just a matter of which technologies are
superior, but also of trying to read the tea leaves of
anti-competitive entities such as Exxon-Mobil, and their machinations.

As for fuels, I always keep an eye on which fuels can be fossil-fuel
derived, because they are the ones which are more "allowed" into fuel
cell discussions.  Others, such as ethanol and biodiesel, are not as
featured in fuel cell discussions because (in my view) they are not as
fossil-fuel derived, but can be made and used by a much wider range of
people and not just by the fossil fuel companies.

In the meantime, there would be nothing wrong, and much right, with
continuing to try to use and develop and improve Battery Electric
Vehicles, such as the RAV4 EV and the like.  History will record the
dishonesty of those car companies (basically: all of them) who have
gone so far out of their way to deny the very existence of those folks
who desire such vehicles, or who already have them and in many cases
are so very satisfied in so many ways.  Those folks, in my view, don't
need to see "all bad" in fuel cell development just because that
development is obviously being used by the powers-that-be to put off
BEV production and development, and other alt-fuel production and
development.

Just got back from a long drive.  I wonder when someone's going to
equip all those SUVs out on the road as grid-chargeable hybrids with
regen brakes. Boy are they burning up some Middle-Eastern Fuel, out on
the roads of America.  I also wonder when an American President will
even dare *mention* the need to develop a great deal more of the
American Southwest with solar cells.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/FGYolB/TM