On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:56:49 -0800, you wrote:

> http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-10/uou-bm9102603.php

Thanks.  I thought this person had identified some really interesting topics for
study, and I thought he was correct in his reasoning that:

>Explaining why he conducted the study, Dukes wrote: "Fossil fuel consumption
>is widely recognized as unsustainable. However, there has been no attempt to
>calculate the amount of energy that was required to generate fossil fuels,
>(one way to quantify the 'unsustainability' of societal energy use)."

I wonder as to the details of how he arrived at the very extreme-seeming figure
that:
'
>only about one-10,750th of the original carbon in ancient plant material
>actually ends up as oil

This was an assumption that seemed worth questioning.

His final discussions of biofuel energies were also interesting to me.  Some
biofuel proponents will disagree with his ideas, but so be it.  I liked the fact
that he has chosen to examine these issues, and has illustrated the apparent
inefficiency (in one sense) of fossil fuel use of solar energy.

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vhSowB/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/FGYolB/TM