>Dan said:
>
>>Tell me Keith, have you ever made BD with Ethanol, either virgin oil or
>>WVO?
>>
>>I haven't.
>
>Keith Addison said:
> >
> > Have you ever made BD at all Dan?
>
>No, I haven't.
>
> > To answer you, in a word, no. Ah-ha! you say, I knew it! But I don't
> > know what that's supposed to prove - nothing, I'd say, it certainly
> > doesn't gainsay my "Not so!" What difference does it make if I've
> > made it or not? And what difference would it make if you've never
> > made BD at all? It wouldn't mean you can't, or won't, nor that it
> > can't be done, nor that you're not allowed to discuss it until you
> > have made it, nor anything other than that you haven't made it yet.
>
>Point made.
>
> > As Mark said, there's been a lot of progress since then, very largely
> > thanks to Ken. A couple of weeks back Ken was talking about using wet
> > ethanol, I believe you took part in that exchange. So did Todd, and
> > so did I. This is what I said:
>
>Yes, I did.  You objected to the information I posted, satating that it
>was making the potential dangers sound far worse than they realy were,
>so I took it down.

That was a later thread I think. Anyway, regarding that, it did
exaggerate the danger, if any, but you got this from me offlist: "Re
the IRC transcript, by the way, I was a bit critical yes, but I
certainly didn't expect you to withdraw it. It's up to you of course."

>You also said that the acid base method _MUST_ be
>done with sulfuric acid,

That's what it says, quite specifically, and other work I've seen on
acid esterification also specifies that. I think it's been explained,
but that was probably beyond me. I'll accept clear instructions on
which different sources agree. IIRC there have been some reports of
people trying hydrochloric and not getting anywhere. Perhaps a
chemist could manage to make a different acid work, but even if it
turned out to be possible you'd probably have to work the whole thing
out from scratch, develop a new technique rather than just replace
the sulphuric and proceed as before from Step 2. What for? If the
existing acid-base method didn't work very well maybe, but it does
work very well, it's the best method we have. If it's ethyl esters
you're aiming at, you'd want to base it on a good, reliable method,
not an untried newbie with potential for hidden variables, just for
the sake of avoiding a much-exaggerated risk. Anyway, if you do
decide to go ahead with it, do please have another look at the method
and check for acids it specifically warns against.

>and that there were other problems with the
>theory my friend and I had been discussing. Unfortunantly, when I asked
>you to elaborate on why it had to be sulfuric acid, and what the other
>problems are, you did not answer.

No, I didn't. I think your friend might have done better if you'd
given him time to study the Foolproof Method first, rather than
apparently commenting on the fly on first encounter during an IRC
session. Maybe he's had time to think about it now?

> > properly set up and running. I've never run a still before. Have you?
>
>Yes, a pot still, not adequate for ethanol production for BD, but a good
>starter experience.

Good for you! I'm sure that's a good start.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511