In a message dated 2/23/2004 11:54:12 AM Central Standard Time

>, or the forthcoming ice age, or global warming...
>grants, endowments, and tenure mean they're going to find whatever
>they're paid to find, and now that's global warming.

no, quite the contrary. Scientists in industry may be paid to  justify
a  preconceived notion,  which affects the corporate bottom line but not
the majority  of the scientific world doesn't work that way.  .  In
fact, about the only  ones who deny the risks of  global climate change
are the business types.
****

I spent most my life as a "scientist", in government service or on government
research contracts.  Scientists in industry have various pressures to be
honest --- they want the company to succeed --- but those who work for the
government are totally politicized.  Whatever will increase their budget and
power is
what they will say.  They are highly motivated to convince congress and
others that there is a terrible problem that they, the scientists, can fix for
only
a few $ Billion.  Then they make a career out of  the problem, being careful
not to find a solution in less than 20 years.  If  the "scientists" really
explain global warming --- as opposed to the Chicken Little stance --- the
money
for all those measurement programs, new satellites, etc. will dry up!  What's
a climatologist to do, if the government doesn't pay him to save the world?

In all my Air Force career, I cannot recall  an Air Force  laboratory program
that actually found it's way into a new airplane, unless it was "stolen" by a
defense contractor.  Aeronautical Systems Division would not accept lab.
reports as credible.  Many of the lab "research" programs were fictional money
sinks.  For example, they wanted vast sums to build a lab and buy materials to
make prototype fiber optic systems, but there was no money in the budget for
fiber optic connectors, because  they had no intention of actually making
anything.  I worked on anti-missile lasers back in the 1970's and 1980's.  Have
you
seen a laser anti-ICBM system yet?  You won't, as long as my children and
grandchildren can get appropriations to research the problem.  The DOE has
spent
hundreds of millions on "advanced" battery research (unsuccessful), to the
exclusion of more practical energy storage.  They know that if they actually
build
a better battery, the money will dry up!

Remember the three most unbelievable statements:
1. The check is in the mail.
2. Of course I'll respect you in the morning.
3. I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you.