<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Hello All.

The lignin by product of the acid hydrolysis is not a poison.  We produce
ethanol from wood residue using the Gaian process of concentrated sulphuric
acid hydrolysis.  The Lignin is the carbon skeleton of the wood and has
similar properties to Charcoal. In some processes a lignin sulphate compound
is formed, but not in this process - that's more associated with the Kraft
and sulphite paper industry.  These versions of lignin find uses in the
manufacture of resins, other forms of lignin are used as binders for road
surfacing.

In our process we find the best use to be as a fuel, in fact we power our
complete process using the combustion of the lignin produced in the
hydrolysis stage, with a significant energy production over our requirements
that we can produce electricity with the surplus steam.

Concerning the reuse of the sulphuric acid, we recover and reuse, after
reconcentrating it.  Unfortunately we use a simulated moving bed
chromatography process which is not 'suitable' for home use.  The older was
is to sacrifice the acid by neutralising it with lime which give a gypsum
by-product which has little to no further use.

For those who want a little more info on ethanol production from wood
residue, there is a fairly detailed process review on our website
www.gaianbioenergy.com

Hope this helps

Regards

Fred Enga