> I remember buying an USA made hammer in the 70*s it was hung with labels and
> stuff saying to wear protective glasses, gloves, overalls etc and to keep
> children and pets away, not to leave it unattended and to hide it or lock it
> up from potential thieves - failure to do any of that stuff would void it's
> warranty - it was a hammer for goodness sakes - are you Americans nuts?

Mainly only the litigious variety.

> Anyway, I would really like to know if anyone has died by handling - not
> drinking because that is deathly - methanol, and if so if the poison
> intrudes through the skin or the airways.

http://www.orcbs.msu.edu/newsletters/November1993/haz_mat_report.html

"Consumption of a 1/4 oz. or more may be fatal.  At high air
concentrations (50,000 ppm) for an hour or longer, methanol will cause
optic nerve damage, central nervous system depression, or death."

So yes, it is deadly, but as people have mentioned many times before -
we use chemicals every day that are just as toxic or even more.

Gasoline
http://www.brownoil.com/msdsgasoline.htm

Ammonia
http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/msdsfiles/msdsammonia.htm