<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Hi
This, hopefully, is my first successful post.  My 3 previous ones
never appeared.  Anyways.

Methanol is not a major problem, provided you take reasonable
precautions.  We go through a fair bit of the stuff (several drums
every month).  We ground the drums, ventilate the area and make sure
that fumes are removed.  We've been using it for over 20 years with
no injuries unless you count the guy who dropped a drum on his toe
while showing how easy it was to handle the drums.  Please don't ask
for details, its a painful memory, but the toe only hurt for a
couple of days.
Gloves, eye protection and organic vapour masks are specified and
not optional.
The vapours are heavier than air and quite flammable at the right
percentages, but then so is gas and cheap scotch.
When I used to mix fuel for modified snowmobiles methanol was the
least toxic of the stuff I used to use.  Nitro Methane and Nitro
Benzene were far worse while the 111 Trichorethylene we cleaned with
is something I just don't want to think about.  No gloves and no
masks, just youth heavily laced with bravado and stupidity.
If you use the stuff outside for racing or whatever then the vapours
disperse unless you are in an enclosed area.  In that case an
organic vapour mask is not at all a bad idea and be careful of
vapour buildup.
There is quite a lot of information on toxicity at
http://www.inchem.org/documents/hsg/hsg/v105hsg.htm.
If you think you're going to get your hands wet I'd use latex gloves
and not nitrile.  Both provide excellent protection from methanol,
but latex is better for NaOH.
http://www.adenna.com/pdf/Chemicals%20Resistance.pdf .  I'm assuming
that you're mixing for biodiesel.

By the way, bought my first biodiesel today in Unionville, Ontario.
Ran my truck for a bit and in less than 10 kilometers the engine
quieted down and seems much smoother.  Subjective I know, but I
think that I'll record some decibel readings at various speeds and
then retry it with straight diesel.  I've gotta get into production.

Hope this helps
Regards
Paul Marks
2003 F250 SD Crewcab. 5months & 26,000 km
1984 300SD Mercedes (converting to WVO) 267,000 km
1988 GM 18' flatbed diesel - no idea of km
various gas & propane & electric