>Folks
>
>First, I'm new to the list.
>
>Living in a state that has 10% ethanol blends available in gasoline
>for many years, I would like to know why 'plain' unleaded gasoline is
>a few points LOWER in octane than what the gas stations call
>unleaded 'plus' that has a 10% ethanol blend?

About 4 years ago I listened to a conference call of an annual or
quarterly report of a publicly traded company then-called High Plains
Corporation.  They were in the Ethanol Business (since bought out by
Abengoa of Spain, probably still around in some form).  One of the
things stated in the call was that while other uses of Ethanol (as an
Oxygenate, as a fuel in E-85, etc.) were important, the listeners and
stock-holders should not forget the importance of the use of ethanol
as an octane-enhancer, and that it was still the most important, or
one of the more important, uses of ethanol that the company was seeing
from its point of view.  I am just trying to pass on as accurately as
I can what I heard in a call four years ago.  Other people here can
tell you more.

>The town I live in charges the same price for both kinds, so most
>people by the 10% ethanol blend. Most other towns in the area charge
>a couple of cents more for the 10% ethanol blend. So, i consider
>myself lucky.
>
>One time I was traveling and stopped at a gas station in another
>state. While chit-chatting with the desk attendant, he mentioned that
>there is none of that no good for nothing ethanol in 'his' gas. I
>asked why. He said that ethanol will ruin engines. I told him I had
>over 140,000 miles on my truck and it has burned mostly the 10% blend
>and never had a problem. He didn't know what to say to my remark. <G>

>Thanks,
>Ron B.
>PS- My state has 13-14 ethanol plants and a new one is on the drawing
>boards...again. Also, the state's first bio-diesel plant will be up
>and running in a couple of years.

What state?  Did you say?

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511