http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/77922/1/.html

The way that this story is written, it's hard to remember that, when
I've heard other points of view, they are of the opinion that the US
Sugar Industry is one of the most unfairly protected and subsidized
industries in the U.S.

I don't have any facts at hand, but I doubt that US Congressmen and
Senators are being given full information by the pro-Sugar lobbyists,
when they are asked to consider the issues.  The sugar lobby I think
is notoriously well-funded.  It's just so hypocritical and wrong,
since some of the legislators who vote for this sort of proposed
"fair" trade do so under guise of protecting "free and fair trade"
when in reality I think they're protecting a taxpayer-subsidized
industry (and thus taxpayers are paying parts of the salaries of the
lobbyists who are coming to their doors).

Tie-In to biofuels: this skews some of the economics of biofuels in
the States and abroad, since the price of sugar is one of many factors
which determine if a good is used for food or fuel?  And which foods
are grown for what?