murdoch wrote:
>>More info here:
>>
>>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/26624/1
>>Big Sugar
>>(see links to discussion)
>

> Yes, now I remember that.
>
> This quote seems useful:
>

>>United States tariffs and price controls keep domestic sugar prices
>>around 22 cents a pound. Most of the rest of the world sells sugar
>>for eight cents a pound. In 1998, sugar-grower price supports in
>>effect cost Americans $1.4 billion in higher prices for candy,
>>cookies, soda, ice cream, gum and a host of other sweet things from
>>cereal to catsup. That same year, the Fanjuls enjoyed more than $60
>>million in subsidies, which led Time to suggest that they may be the
>>"first family of corporate welfare."
>

> You might find it interesting to know that when I went to
> news.google.com to do a search on this issue, I found that a similar
> sort of dispute seems to be happening in Australia right now.
>
> So, between, Europe, Australia and the US each subsidizing its sugar
> production and pricing, and each blathering on utterly disgustingly
> hypocritically about free unsubsidized markets, a question that comes
> around is how to sort this out.  How do we project ending this mess,
> so that a farmer can grow sugar and find a market for it in peace,
> without this interference from producer-attacking
> fake-freedom-proponents?

Murdoch,
        As an Australian, I suggest you go back to your Google News and
research a bit further. Please provide further references about how
Australia subsidies sugar. Please provide further references about how
Australia subsides other industries and then "blathering on utterly
disgustingly hypocritically about free unsubsidized markets". As such a
small country, economically, Australia can't afford to subsidies its
industries the way that the Seppo's and the EU do. We have for at least
the last 10 years been laying our markets open, dropping both tariffs
and subsidies, which some people refer to as niavely, to the world
whilst trying to get free markets, real free markets, happening in other
parts of the world.

        I can remember recently whilst this debarcle of a free trade aggreement
that you refer to, the one between the Seppo's and Australia, was being
thrashed out that the US food industry wanted sugar included because
Australian sugar WAS NOT subsidised and that would have meant the
opening of their market to sugar at "market value", not the US
subsidised rates. Obviously the US sugar industry won out and sugar was
therefore off the agenda.

        When you have done your research regarding Austrlia's trading policies,
should I be really facetious at this point and point out that Australia
is not next to Germany and we don't wear lederhosen - no I don't think
so, you can then come back for a fact based dicussion on free trabe vis
a vie, spelling???, Australia and the rest of the world.

        Regards,
                Andrew Lowe

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511