There is a movement afoot amongst some Prius owners to try to alter
their cars (and take them out of warranty) to be
Plug-In-Hybrid-Electric Vehicles.  This involves, for example,
enabling the EV-only mode that is found in Japan but not the U.S. (as
I'm told) and this mode only functions as EV-Only below a certain
miles per hour.

So, Michael may have been referring to that movement in his statement
of objection to the sustainability of the idea.  More can be read
here, for example, that I posted a few days ago:

http://www.calcars.org/priusplus.html

This is just one organizer. I'm sure there are other engineers and
others working on their hybrids, home-built or manufactured, who are
not necessarily affiliated with Felix Kramer's Calcars.org or the
PriusPlus effort.

I liked the suggestion of running a biofueled genset, as it adds
another option.

My point has been, and will continue to be, that some of these
environmental challenges have more than one layer to them.  If we
dismiss out-of-hand putting into place one of the layers, as we are so
often urged to do, because it does not instantly, and entirely
by-itself, solve the environmental problems, then we miss the point.

A PIHEV, powered by a coal plant and conventional gasoline, may not be
much of a mileage improver  and may be as dirty or dirtier than an HEV
or a regular car.  But, once put into place, the owner can realize
environmental gains that never would have been within his or her grasp
had they listened to the attempt to dismiss the whole effort out of
hand.  Installation of solar energy on the roof of the garage, or
installation of electricity generated from some other
somewhat-more-renewable means (such as a genset powered by biofuels)
can dramatically improve the car's overall sustainability of
operation.  And then of course, if and when we can get a manufacturer
to get off their whining arguments and make a diesel PIHEV available,
we're really going to be in business.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511