Hi Brian, Tim and all

>Tim,
>
>I couldn't agree more on the need to drive more sanely, with a good
>portion of that being to conserve.  If you come to Indiana, you'll
>recognize me as the other guy not exceeding the speed limit.  I
>haven't had the luck that you have with staying in the right lane,
>but I figure that when folks get irritated with me being so slow,
>it's their problem not mine.
>
>I wasn't aware of air travel being so fuel costly.  I guess I always
>thought that since so many people were moving at once, it made up
>for the large amounts of fuel used to move them.  Part of what I
>enjoy in life is to visit other parts of the world and try to get a
>look at how others live their lives.  To give up air travel
>completely would mean giving up one of the few things I truly enjoy,
>as well as something that changes the way that I view the world,
>hopefully for the better.  Personally, I think that if more
>Americans took advantage of the opportunity to see that we aren't
>the only culture on the planet, the world would be a much better
>place.

I'm sure you're right about that, but I'm sure it applies to
everybody, not just Americans. But especially to Americans? Well, yes
or no, I won't argue about that. The trouble is that air travel at
current levels with current practices isn't very sustainable, the
"externalisations" are horrendous. The externalisations of the
tourist industry are also horrendous. The local externalisations of
just a single airport are horrendous (there's something in the
archives about that). I guess the WW2 British slogan "Is your journey
really necessary?" applies, or should do, and the answer a lot of the
time has to be "No", whether it's a business trip or a package
holiday. For a family visit like Kim's, family visits are necessary
and good, and the time restrictions are real enough, but I don't
think it'd be like that if air-travel wasn't just assumed and
automatically factored in by the powers-that-be who calculate how
much "free" time we're to be granted. As for "holidays":

"The average 15,000 cubic metres of water needed to irrigate one
hectare of high-yielding modern rice is enough for 100 nomads and 450
cattle for three years, or 100 rural families for three years, or 100
urban families for two years. The same amount can supply 100 luxury
hotel guests for just 55 days." (UN Food and Agriculture Organization
-- FAO.) Tip of the iceberg.

It's arguable whether many tourist holidays do anything to broaden
the mind. They're just another consumable these days, but it didn't
used to be that way, and that wasn't very long ago. People used to
travel from Hong Kong to Britain and back by flying boat if they were
in a hurry. It took a few days, but nobody complained. (Ah, but the
pace of life is faster now - is it really? Not just a delusion?) When
they weren't in such a hurry they went by ship. They used to travel
from South Africa or Australia to Britain and Europe by ocean liner.
Now there are no such ships, just cruise-liners, another consumable.

Tim mentioned US subsisides for air-travel as opposed to trains (18
times), and there's no good reason that trains should be a poor
cousin. Not for goods transport either - I agree with Todd about
airfreight. In Europe (and China) huge amounts of goods go by canal,
it doesn't seem to render their economies uncompetitive, not
everything has to be there yesterday. The system's rigged all wrong
where what must be large amounts of non-urgent goods go by air
anyway. As for people, I had a friend who said jet-lag was a myth,
that's not what happened at all she said. "My body might go by jet,
but my spirit goes by train, and it takes a whole week to catch up. I
think I'll stay with my spirit and take the train." Which in her case
happened to be the Trans-Siberian Express. I think she's right, but
I'd take it further - air-travel is a myth. You can't travel on a
Boeing - you might be going somewhere but any travelling you might
get to do won't start until after you arrive, if you're in any
condition for it. How can an airborne cattle-truck with no leg-room
compare with the Trans-Siberian Express? Or an ocean liner? I like
flying, if it's in a Cessna or something, but Boeings remind me of
those old-fashioned office communications systems powered by
compressed air - you get shoved into a capsule and stuck in a pipe,
there's a whooshing sound and then you're spat out the other end all
crumpled up. What fun. The transportation used to be an integral part
of your travelling adventures, now we've cashed that bit in for a bit
of "saved" time while the planet takes heavy damage for it.

So what to do? Something, surely. What's wrong with flying boats
anyway? You and Tim do slow driving, we have slow food, a good
movement growing not slowly, here in Japan we've helped start a "slow
fuel" movement with biodiesel (it translates better in Japanese,
loses the potential "less power" implication), why not slow travel?
The steam clubs pay lots of money to ride on steam trains in India,
and I think in China and elsewhere. Anybody got a spare Yankee
Clipper or a Catalina maybe?

What you say about travel broadening the mind though... I read a
futuristic novel long ago which had some such thing as a minor theme.
Everybody spent a year or two or more travelling, it was more or less
compulsory but didn't need any enforcing, everyone accepted it, and
there was a good infrastructure for it, worldwide. Such an
infrastructure wouldn't cost much, even if most of it were free,
which I think it was - fares, hostels and so on. This was between
school and college, or maybe between college and starting working
life, and it was based on backpacking. Nobody flew anywhere, all
surface stuff, and no hurry. A lot of people do that now, since the
60s especially, but it's small-scale and not very "serious" because
they're cheapos, not something the industry can climb aboard. I did
it, at the end of the sixties, if for different reasons (I got
arrested and had to flee), very important part of my life, and
actually I never really stopped after that. When I fled I flew, I was
definitely in a hurry, but not after that, trains and boats and
buses, and boots, and thumb. Travelling, yeah. Flying? Naah. I only
do it now if I don't have a choice. There's not nearly enough choice.

Best wishes

Keith