Hhow far can you drive on a thimbleful of BD?

-BRAH

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Orion Cardoso [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 5:58 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] Re: USDA: Cattle Brains May Be Turned Into Biofuels

I know a few politicians whose brains should be turned into
biodiesel- but im not sure theyd pass astm standards... lolololol..
Marc

- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, murdoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story&cid=585&e=3&u=/nm/20040517/sc_nm/madcow_waste_dc

> USDA: Cattle Brains May Be Turned Into Biofuels
>
> Mon May 17, 5:36 PM ET  Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!
>

> By Richard Cowan
>
> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Cattle brains and other remains that may
carry the deadly
> mad cow disease would be turned into biofuels under a plan
announced on Monday
> by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web sites).
>
> Cattle brains, skull, eyes, spinal column, small intestine and
other parts
> suspected of harboring mad cow disease were banned from human
consumption in
> December as a safety precaution, shortly after the discovery of the
first case
> of mad cow disease in the United States.
>

> Some consumer groups have called on the Bush administration to go a
step further
> and ban these "specified risk materials" from swine, poultry and
other animal
> feed made from ground-up cattle remains. All cattle parts already
are banned
> from cattle feed to protect against the spread of mad cow disease.
>

> The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (news - web sites) is
considering tougher
> regulations on animal feed since finding the brain-wasting disease
in the United
> States. One month ago, an agency official said FDA was considering
banning
> specified risk materials from poultry and swine feed.
>

> Under the new USDA program, a $50 million loan guarantee program
would be set up
> to help small businesses in rural areas develop ways to turn cattle
brains and
> other high-risk parts into a "bio-based source of energy."
>

> Bill Hagy, a deputy administrator at USDA's rural development
agency, said the
> purpose of the pilot program was to gauge commercial interest and
to solicit
> ideas for alternate energy uses for the cattle parts.
>

> "There are incinerating facilities out there that possibility
could, with some
> retooling, be able to accommodate the need," Hagy said.
>

> But Hagy said he did not know whether the pilot program was aimed
at finding new
> uses for the risky cattle parts if they are banned from all animal
feed.

> A spokeswoman for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (news -
web sites)
> said her organization supports the USDA pilot program.
>

> A wider ban on the high-risk cattle parts has been watched closely
by the U.S.
> soybean futures market. With tight soy supplies in the United
States, a
> significant change in animal feed rules could have a big impact on
products that
> could be used as a substitute in animal feeds, such as soybean
meal.

> Currently, the carcasses of cattle slaughtered at U.S. packing
plants are
> typically sent to a separate rendering plant to be made into food
for other
> animals, cosmetics or other materials. Last year, the United States
slaughtered
> more than 35 million cattle.

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*         To visit your group on the web, go to:

*         To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

*         Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of