Hello,

I made a 5 gallon batch today, and had a few problems. I tried to mix the
methanol/lye in blenders, and it didn't work.  The seals of the blenders must
be shot, because the methanol leaked out. So we mixed the methoxide by hand in
a large beaker (all done in my fume hood).

I added the lye in two batches, with half the methanol/lye in each. When I went
to add the second batch, there was this weird gummy stuff floating on top. It
looked like tofu curds, or congealed something. It was creamy brown and broke
apart when I poked it. I hesitated to remove it because i worried about
upsetting the balance of lye.  I did take out one small piece to try to
identify it.

I have NEVER seen this before. Has anyone else? Any advice?

Also, when I blended the methanol/lye, the container got very hot. I
immediately stopped it because I was worried about explosions. It got hot when
I mixed it by hand too. Is this normal?

I would appreciate any help anyone feels like offering.

thanks,

Noam Gundle