> On Mon, 24 May 2004 04:17:30 +0900, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Hoagy
>>
>> Anyone see this?
>>
>>> No but thank you Keith and speaking of real men and
>>> what they have to say I thought this excerpt from the
>>> article pasted below would be of possible future interest --
>>>
>>>   "Finally, we learn from Bob Woodward that, as a
>>>   reward for getting rid of Saddam Hussein, Bush
>>>   received what amounts to an in-kind campaign
>>>   contribution from the Saudi royal family. Don't
>>>   worry about rising gas prices, Prince Bandar assured
>>>   the president. After screwing Americans all summer
>>>   with high prices at the pump, Bandar promised Bush
>>>   the Saudis would pump more oil in the fall, thereby
>>>   lowering gas prices ö just before the election."
>>
>> We had something about it before, but it's certainly worth spelling
>> it out again, thankyou. I just hope people will remember it when it
>> happens. And the media...

> murdoch wrote:
> I haven't decided what I think of Woodward's claim, though one has to
> say that he has good credibility.  My inclination when I heard this
> was that it was half true, and that even if fully true, that there are
> other factors at work here.

 It would seem so.

> 1.  The Saudis and others have said, and I believe it also to be a
> factor, that the U.S. has for so long prevented expansion and new
> construction in the refinery industry that part of the reason the U.S.
> gas prices are going up has more to do with that, than with any
> shortage of oil.  Since the "refinery shortage" argument seems to get
> short play (it is an argument for the enviro "conspiracy" driving up
> prices I guess rather than an argument for the Bush-Saudi price
> manipulation conspiracy) I thought I'd put it back on the table.

 It sounds as if we've been led to believe the US refinery
 industry has not expanded in the last 30 years but what
 about capacity?

> 2.  I also tend to buy into the idea that if we are going into a world
> economic expansion in such areas as China, and if we have done little
> or nothing to dissaociate such a 21st century expansion with increased
> use of Oil, then, DUH, we are going to see use of oil go up and,
> probably, prices.  If more cars and motorized bikes and what-not are
> being put into garages worldwide, and if they're being put there to
> get daily use, then of course, the cumulative net world-wide effect is
> an increased use of fuel.

 Perhaps a comparison of US & China's petroleum demand to world
 production levels on a monthly/yearly basis would provide a
 interesting view.

> 3.  Another factor, in my view, has been the Bush Administration's
> increase of the Debt and the possibility (probability, certainty, some
> would say) this will lead to paying it off in lower-valued American
> Dollars.  Why should Oil Producers, from a profit-oriented point of
> view, not try to get the best-value for their product that they can
> get?

 Another comparison to US dollar value to crude prices would
 also be interesting although it wouldn't necessarily show
 the tax breaks for the rich or the huge indebtedness of the
 Bush-Cheney/Iraq-war deficits of the future would it?

 By the way thank you Keith for the article by:

>>http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=523676
>>Anthony Sampson: The war in Iraq is distracting the West from the
>>looming crisis in Saudi Arabia

> So, there was perhaps some hush-hush we-can-help you conversation
> between Bush and the Saudis, and if it happened it was just another in
> a long line of sickeningly inappropriate machinations on the part of
> this Administration, but I don't see it as the only thing going on
> here.

 If anyone other then the Bush-Cheney Administration had
 said this it would probably sound conspiring but where
 they telling Bob Woodward the truth or...?

>>> I agree with Bush:  Read Bob Woodward's book
>>> By Bill Press
>>> http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38179
 <snip>