I am still in the final completion stage of the cabinet and will be
putting together a pictorial "how I did it" sort of thing once
complete.
As for the Standpipe design, please see Sean Park's Standpipe Wash
Tank Design at:
http://www.veggieavenger.com/avengerboard/viewtopic.php?t=333)
Personally, this combo works, as it is compact, discreet and mobile.
The capacity of the water heater can be found on the small metal
plate on it's side. Should the initails "imp" appeear next to the
volume that means "Imperial" measurements, not US. For a handy
conversion table from/to metric/US/Imperial see:
http://www.teaching-english-in-japan.net/conversion/celsius
Remember though that if it says 30gal imp that even though that is
about 4.05 liters to the gal or about 125 liters that is not the
volume of BD you will be making as you have to allow for the volume
of methoxide and mixing space. I figure that if I stick with 80
liter batches in one of these I should be OK; maybe not, I will post
any flubs in the plans :)
My plans were made off the cuff and customised to the height and
space I have available. The original idea was to have the cabinet
next to the Benz in the heated garage where the plumbing only allows
a maximum 6' clearance, so that is what I had to work with, and I
wanted it mobile (on casters) to ba ble to move it about should I
need to. The stubby water heater by Giant (Rheem probably has one
too) is 36 1/2 " high and 24" diameter which is neat 'cause that is
roughly the same as one of those poly 45 gal drums I am going to use
as a wash tank. The processor,pump and tank sit on a "shelf" that
allows clearance for 22 liter pails under it, the plumbing for the
wash tank goes through the floor of this shelf and the whole thing
has about 6-8 inches head clearance above the processor so I drilled
vent holes on top and two sides for a little air circulation vis a
vis the processor and wash tanks. The whole thing is presently
undergoing a paint job to gun metal grey (a good, blend into the
background colour) :)The cabinet also has a fold out table from one
of the sides to be used a s awork station for titration and for a
pre-heat tank that will be feeding the intake pump. The pre-heat
tank is also about 30 liters and will fit under the internal shelf
for storage. There is room betweem the procesor and wash tanks to
have a 12" wide shelving arrangement to accomodate the methoxide and
other related BD making stuff. All very compact. As for actual
plans, I will have to digress to those in the know as this is the
first time I have ever in my half century life attempted to build
anything like this, but I will have a mess of photos (I am taking
them as I go) hoping that the proverbial "photo is worth a thousand
words" fills in where I lack in actula knowledge :) Long winded uh?

Luc

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Steven Pfaff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>   Luc,
>
>    Happy to hear you found a home for your processor.  I am
currently looking for a new home for myself before I begin
construction, however I have recently accuired two electric water
heaters.  Not quite sure of the volumes of either just yet as they
have just been shoved into storage until the moment I wake up the
day after my move, I think they are 20-30 gallons and 40-50
gallons.  I am still looking for ideas for how I want to wash my
fuel though.  Do you by chance have a link for the standpipe wash
tank you spoke of?  I'd love to take a look at it.  I am also
building my processor after girl-mark's design.

>    Thanks,
>              Steven
>
> biobenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Having had the bright idea of building a "Fumeless Processor" on G-
> Mark's design along with the Sean Park's Standpipe wash tank I was
> in need of a compact way to "house" it all as I live in an urban
> setting (an apartment) So I figured I would build a cabinet which
> could accomodate the two side by side with storage space under for
> 22 liter pails, and the plan came together fairly well. The
cabinet
> is built, mostly painted, butthen the torpedo came in the form of
> the landlord who insisted he did not want any closed cabinets in
the
> heated garage, even if it DID sit next to the Benz that I am
paying
> rent for. A "home" was needed, so I approached the organic farmer
we
> deal with on the weekend and it looks like the cabinet and it's
> contents now have a "home" where there is electricity to power the
> unit and water to wash with.
> This may force my hand of sorts to use potassium hydroxide instead
> of the easier-to-use sodium hydroxide as then he could use the by-
> product as a crop fertilizer once the methanol is recovered (if I
> understand it right), so there's something for everyone and
everyone
> ends up happy with the deal .... the way it SHOULD be, Ha! At
first
> though I will use the NaOH until I get a good grip, then move on
> the KOH once the confidence is well established.
> Anyway, where there is a will there is a way, and it is often in
> colaboration with others that the best results take place. (it
also
> helps to keep one's ego in check) :)
>
> Luc

> Biofuels list archives:

> To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.