Kim, even at moderate humidity,  the lye produced is quite hygoscopic
(absorbs moisture from the air)  In fact it is deliquescent (absorbs
enough water  from the air to liquefy)  So you would have to boil it dry
and then seal it in an air tight container till use.

Lye made from ashes has a variable composition, it is a mixture of
hydroxides of alkali and alkaline earth hydroxides. You could determine
the strength by titration, but that would require standard solutions of
acid. Alternatively,  one could determine the strength by
experimentation.  Use amount X and if it works good, if not try a
diffrent amount.

--
Bob Allen, http://ozarker.org/bob
The modern conservative is engaged in one of Man's oldest exercises in moral