too.)

So, what do you think?   I suppose if I weren't lazy, I would start looking
for a low-temperature diagram.  /Ernie

In a message dated 8/22/2004 10:10:52 PM Mountain Standard Time,
biofuel@yahoogroups.com writes:
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:12:04 -0700
   From: Ken Provost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Extracting alcohol instead of distilling?

on 8/22/04 10:19 AM, jseabolt2002 at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here's my theory. Gasoline and alcohol will mix. Alcohol and water
> also will mix. But gasoline is lighter than water so it floats and
> doesn't mix.
>
> So does that mean if you took the alcohol/water from the mash and
> mixed it with gasoline, would the alcohol attach itself to the
> gasoline and what you would end up with is water on the bottom and
> gasoline/alcohol on the top? Then just decant the mixtures?

It's hard to describe the whole system verbally, but you can
do a Google search for the "ternary phase diagram" of the
"ethanol-water-gasoline system" and everything will come clear.
Essentially, your idea doesn't work. With no water present,
ethanol is infinitely soluble (miscible) with gasoline. But
being a polar molecule, it vastly "prefers" water. Thus, in
mixtures of all three, the alcohol forms a phase with the
water, while the gasoline remains a separate phase. In other
words, you CAN use water to extract ethanol from gasoline,
but you CAN'T use gasoline to extract ethanol from water.

-K