on 8/22/04 10:27 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The diagram suggests that I can accomodate
> about 2% to 5% water in ethanol and blend
> it with gasoline without separation at 21 deg. C.

Yes, if you want to use mostly gasoline -- I personally like
that big clear area at the top of the diagram, say, around
80% ethanol, 10% water, and 10% gasoline. You'd still have
to distill the alcohol to get that high, but a simple still
(no fractionation or mol. sieve req'd) would do it. Of course,
at those percentages, why bother with the gasoline at all?

> I read a warning somewhere that this isn't wise because
> the water will separate out at low temperatures.
> Then, I wondered, is THIS a way to make a blend without dry
> alcohol, to cool the mix and remove the water.  (I understand,
> it's all in the phase diagram, and if it works the wrong way,
> just all of the alcohol separates out too.)

Yup, I think that's what would happen -- lowering the temp.
causes the "binodal curve" (the boundary where one phase
breaks up into two) to move upward in the diagram.

-K

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/FGYolB/TM