Hallo Kim,
(Please note I never say 'hello' either :o)

Thursday, 09 September, 2004, 07:01:09, you wrote:

KGT> Greetings,
KGT> [Please note I never say 'hello']

KGT> First I would like to thank the committee for finding a new home for
KGT> biofuels.  If someone would be kind enough to share the information on how
KGT> this list is set up, I would love to move my lists to elsewhere, too.

KGT> I have been doing a great deal of research since my post much earlier this
KGT> summer about how to preserve the harvest.  I have discovered lacto
KGT> fermented vegetables which are quite wonderful.  The problem is now that
KGT> instead of needing a bunch of freezers, I need a bunch of
KGT> refrigerators.    I have also acquire a Jersey cow name Carol, so I now
KGT> make cheese that needs to be aged.  The long term storage temperature
needs
KGT> to be below 50F.  For corning beef and other things I need below 40F but
KGT> above 32F [0 C].

I  remember  you  live  in Texas but I don't remember if you ever said
where.   The  valley,  hill  country, east Texas?   My father was from
Harlingen and I lived in west Texas in San Angelo for a time.

Back  in  the  mid  seventies  Mother  Earth News had an article about
making  an  above  ground  root cellar.  Super insulated including the
door if I remember correctly.

You  could try that.  Set it up on blocks and frame it up and then put
on  the  inner  and  outer walls with insulation.  Haul in caliche and
berm  up  around  the thing after putting on a moisture-proof barrier.
You  would  have  to  make sure the thing was extremely well insulated
overhead   and   it   would   have   to  be  pretty tight to keep from
gaining  heat  inside.  Can you get caliche where you are?  We used it
in  west  Texas  to line ponds to hold water.  I suppose if you had to
you could run tile and rock underneath and build up a base which would
be higher than the regular terrain and then build on top of that.  Top
it  off with sheet metal roofing either white or silver to reflect the
heat.

I  don't  know  if  this  would work or not but it may be worth a try.
Good  luck.  I have a partner in Seguin who could have done it for you
but he got a job as construction superintendent for Dillard's and goes
all over the country working on their stores now. :o/

Happy Happy,

Gustl

--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
Mitglied-Team AMIGA
ICQ: 22211253-Gustli
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Stra§e liegen,
da§ sie gerade deshalb von der gewšhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin
********
The best portion of a good man's life -
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth