----- Original Message -----
From: "Gustl Steiner-Zehender" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 11:15 AM
Subject: Re[2]: [Biofuel] Re: [Off Topic]US to sell 5000 smart bombs to
Israel

> Hallo All,
>
> Tuesday, 28 September, 2004, 09:39:31, you wrote:
>
> >>Hi Hakan,
> >>Thanks for your reply, but Luc in a previous post (Why We Cannot Win),
> >>mentioned it was the duty of a soldier to refuse to fight in an illegal
> >>war.
> KA> Is it a soldier's duty to do whatever he/she's told?
>
> This  is  the  unfortunate  reality...you  are told it is your duty to
> refuse  an  illegal  order  but  if you do refuse the order you can be
> brought up on charges and you WILL be told that you obey the order and
> lodge  a  complaint later.  You are damned if you do and damned if you
> don't.  The perfect catch22.

But if you don't you at least have the inner peace of not having murdered
people on the say-so of some one obviously not interested in law or moral
righteousness.

> However  it  plays  out  you  will  find  that  the responsibility for
> anything "wrong" which is done will be placed as far down the chain of
> command  as  possible  and  preferably  on  an enlisted person.  If an
> enlisted person cannot be found to be the goat the responsibility will
> fall  on  the  lowest  ranking officer possible.  In My Lai it was Lt.
> Calley  although  the Colonel who gave the order to "waste 'em" should
> have been held responsible.

And speaking of General "My Lai" Powell.... who did everything in his
ability to try to curtail and bury that little bit of "misfortune". Of
course the only misfortune is that it became public.

At Abu Ghraib it fell on a female General
> who  was  "in charge" but it should have gone much higher up the chain
> of command.
>
> It works the same way in government "service". Tenet fell on his sword
> but  the responsibility really belonged to Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Cheney
> and  Bush.  The entire intelligence community is biting the bullet for
> the  actions  of  Feith.   Colin Powell betrayed his own honor for the
> team  and  lied  through his teeth.  There is no honor in these people
> when it comes to covering their own backs.

Which President was it that had a "The Buck Stops Here" plaque on his desk ?
Meaning that after everyone else had finished passing the buck around he
would himself take responsibility when the cowards had all made themselves
known. UNfortunetly, the plaque has been lost and all that is left are moral
cowards.

Luc