----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] ultimate pump wash

> Hello Luc
>
> It's no ordinary watering can head:

Yup, I know, I already checked that out and followed the links; neat!

> http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor10.html
> Journey to Forever 90-litre processor
>
> Scroll down to "processor lid".
>
> But all you need is the principle, of course, then adapt what you can
> find to do the same job in your set-up. As you're doing.
>
> I'm not quite clear on it though. "The water gets pumped up and then
> falls like rain all over the surface of the BD" - only the water? Or
> are you pumping BD as well, or mixed BD and water? If it's only the
> water, all you have is a sort of glorified mist-washer, with rain
> rather than mist. Well, maybe that's okay. But I'd've thought a pump
> would pull liquid out of the bottom faster than the water raining on
> top will percolate down, isn't it pulling BD as well, and mixing the
> water and BD? Is the BD getting mixed with water, or just rained on?

Unfortunately it is only a glorified mist washer and the pump, a Pony Pump,
doesn't quite suck fast and hard enough to get at the BD and water to give
it as good a mix as a paint stirrer will.
Once this set up installed and functional as is the next part of the set up
will include a secondary settling tank for next Spring and this one WILL
have a stirring mechanism as it will be "outside the box", so-to-speak :) so
head space will not be a concern and I can set up an inverted drill press on
a stand or whatever with an extended paint stirrer or other makeshift
apparatus that will give it the heave ho, but for now I have to make this
present system functional without bubbling and this "rain" thing seems to be
the only way to do it. given the space available to work with.
Like I said, it does work, howbeit not as well as I would like, and so I am
dogedly staying the course until I discover something that does work
perfectly well for the application.
Sticktoitivenes and perseverance are not things I lack, although they can
also be a fault :) if blind.

Luc