incomplete rection, the problem is that not all the glycerine is draining once the settling time is done and that glycerine is getting mixed with the BD when it is being transfered to the wash tank and that is what is causing trouble. During the warmer months of summer this problem did not exist as the reactor was able to hold it's heat but with the overnight dropping temps it has bot done so well. The solutions are fairly simple; insulate the structure and put a small heater on a timer and/or use KOH instead of the NaOH. I have absolutely zero science knowledge (except what I have learned doing this)so I will not be experimenting with new and potentially dangerous catalyst bases, that is best left to the pros :) When the time comes and I feel comfortable enough, once having moved up to KOH as a catalyst and things are going reasonably well then I would like to go the two stage method route but not before. Call me chicken s#^t, but I prefer to err on the side of caution and go at it methodically.

Luc
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Welter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2004 4:46 AM
Subject: RE: [Biofuel] Cold Weather Processing

I'm wondering if since water present in small amounts can impede the biodiesel reaction, if adding the water before removing as much glycerine as possible be a cause for some of the problems with separation and emulsions since there could be some extraneous reactions or possible reverse reactions going on in the mix?

Also, in my experience, if you can get ahold of sodium methoxide or ethoxide (or if you can make it yourself using sodium metal reacted with ethanol or methanol) gives a much better separation of the biodiesel from the glycerine and the glycerine is much thicker. I would suggest that if you have trouble with separation, perhaps replacing as little as 25% of the NaOH or KOH used with the ethoxide salt (on a molar basis) and seeing how that works for you - adding more or less by trial and error until you get a satisfactory result.

Also, using sodium ethoxide as a catalyst makes the use of ethanol instead of methanol as the alcohol more feasible - (of course, that is if you can find the salt or are willing to play with sodium metal - I'd say potassium metal is way too dangerous outside of a lab environment)

most university research data shows that to use ethanol as the alcohol of choice you need an excess of almost 200% ethanol meaning 3x the amount to finish the reaction, and then the excess ethanol causes the glycerine to not separate out and you get nothing but a mess...

Jeff