Well, it wasn't the fuel filters :( Apparently the BD is such an effective
cleaner that it loosened up all the residuals in the tank and lines and they
became clogged up.
The Benz is now at the MB dealer where tomorow it will be fitted with new fuel
lines and the tank emptied and flushed or replaced (only if necessary).
The symptoms: the car started to resist it's momentum, like it was holding back
and then releasing it's acceleration and then it slowly lost power until it
came to a slow death on the side of the road.
I changed the filters and started it back up and it ran OK for about 60 Km or
so and then it didn't bother with the resisting part and went straight to the
slow death thing. I could start it but it wouldn't get it's RPM up and died
within moments indicating that there was resistance in the fuel delivery and
the engine didn't like it and died. All air had been bled out of the system at
both the primary and secondary filter inlets, so the problem, by default, is at
the other end.
Anybody know for sure if a 1983 240D has a filter in the fuel tank or if it has
an electric motor pumping the fuel?

Thanks, any input, as usual, is appreciated.

Luc