>Walt, If I charge an EV from my solar panels, I can go twice as far than If
>I used that electric to electrolyze hydrogen, compress it, and "burn" it in
>a fuel cell. Not to mention the costs involved with the electrolyzer, the
>compressor, and the fuel cell far outweigh the cost  of an EV. Now why would
>I be so foolish to throw away my expensive and high quality PV electric in
>such a manner?

Beats me. I don't even understand why you're setting up and attacking arguments I'm not making; how foolish is that?

PVs aren't the only game in town, although they do have their uses and are part of the energy mix we're working with. What we're looking at in this case is that we're looking at converting wind power to H2 and O2 and then piping that to point-of-use. We want the O2 to drive auto-thermal reformation of char; the use of the H2 is secondary.

Now it may be more effective to use PSA or VSA technology to generate our O2, but we look forward to adding that option to our tool kit as well.

Let me try and explain the car thing again. It's nice to have an EV that has a range of 100 miles, but that's not going to get us to the Big City and back again, so it would have to be classed here as a limited-use vehicle. It doesn't make economic sense for us to insure a vehicle that isn't capable of multi-use.

We like the idea of being able to capture wind energy and then use it in a variety of ways. We're not going to channelize our energy program on the grounds of "highest and best use" since we care more about flexibility and diversity than we do about profitability and efficiency.

Walt
http://www.windward.org/