To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 5:53 PM
Subject: [Biofuel] first batch of biodiesel

Hello biofuels people,

I am about to start making my first batch of biodiesel and I have a whole bunch of questions.

in much of the literature it says that it is important that your reacting vessel be sealed to keep the fumes in but the logistics of how to do that while simultaneously stirring and measuring temperature aren't very well covered until you get into building a complicated reactor (probably not worth it for my 1L test batch) I want to make a jarful, does anyone have any good suggestions for fume management. I saw some mention of using a blender but it is not immediately apparent how one would maintain temperature while blending.

I saw people throw out their price per gallon as being in the 40-75 cent range, what are people paying for methanol to be getting those prices? what portion of the methanol is reclaimed? I got my methanol from mcmaster carr for $43/5 gal, they haven't told me yet what it is going to cost to ship even though they promise to ship it today, I am expecting that it will be expensive because it is flammable and toxic.

I was looking for an electric immersion heater but I couldn't find one for less than 5 gallons (too big to fit in a jar) should I do some sort of a double boiler on a hot plate???

what kind of a return should I expect, if I start with 1L of oil and 250mL of methanol and 6.25g of lye (planning on doing the 2-stage recipe) how much of each of the products should I expect?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!! this is a great list!

John Guttridge