I appreciate the advice you have given me. my college chemistry classes taught me titration, not too difficult and not my reason for selecting the 2-stage process, after reading both recipes throughly I decided that there was not much more difficulty in the 2-stage process as long as you follow the directions carefully. I also agree with the author's assessment that the normal methods are sloppy chemistry and that pushing the reaction by removing the glycerin and then adding the last of the methoxide was a good idea. other than that (and the titration which didn't seem to be necessary for new oil which I am starting with the getting started page seems to think that the amount of lye necessary is pretty standard for pure unused oil) the two processes didn't seem much different.

I am still however a novice so in light of all of that I would like to be told that I am wrong if I am. perhaps I will do the normal recipe after my two-stage completes and see what the difference in the results are. I already started my two stage and it seems to be working really well, after appx 16 minutes of settling I had a good ratio of BD/FAME to glycerin (considering that my reaction isn't complete yet). I will be siphoning off the FAME and re-reacting tonight, then washing starting tomorrow.

I have some really good pictures of all of this and I am building a website including my whole process I will send a link to the list once it has completed tomorrow and I have written it all up.

again, thanks so much for the advice and the welcome!

John Guttridge

Keith Addison wrote:
Hello John, welcome

You've had some good replies.

Hello biofuels people,

I am about to start making my first batch of biodiesel and I have a whole bunch of questions.

in much of the literature it says that it is important that your reacting vessel be sealed to keep the fumes in but the logistics of how to do that while simultaneously stirring and measuring temperature aren't very well covered until you get into building a complicated reactor (probably not worth it for my 1L test batch) I want to make a jarful, does anyone have any good suggestions for fume management. I saw some mention of using a blender but it is not immediately apparent how one would maintain temperature while blending.

I saw people throw out their price per gallon as being in the 40-75 cent range, what are people paying for methanol to be getting those prices? what portion of the methanol is reclaimed? I got my methanol from mcmaster carr for $43/5 gal, they haven't told me yet what it is going to cost to ship even though they promise to ship it today, I am expecting that it will be expensive because it is flammable and toxic.

Lots of information on methanol in the list archives.
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

Here's a previous message:

Contact any bulk, liquid fuels distributor for 55 gallon lots or better. Any bulk propane distributorship should be willing to tell you where they get their methanol from. It's used as a carrier for water, aka a "drying agent."

For smaller lots speak with the management of any speed shop. Their customer base is largely dependant upon methanol availability. As well, if you know anyone who races, they may be willing to part with small quantities.

Also look on the net for distributors of Sunoco Race Fuels. These distributors have access to unblended methanol in all quantities.

Todd Swearingen

Here's another:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/36249/

I was looking for an electric immersion heater but I couldn't find one for less than 5 gallons (too big to fit in a jar) should I do some sort of a double boiler on a hot plate???

Fishtank heaters are small enough, but the link Denis gave you is a better idea.

what kind of a return should I expect, if I start with 1L of oil and 250mL of methanol and 6.25g of lye (planning on doing the 2-stage recipe) how much of each of the products should I expect?

Not the place to start. It says at the top of that page:

"The two-stage processes are advanced methods, not for novices -- learn the basics thoroughly first. The single-stage base method is the place to start. Start here."

"Here" being here:
"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

Not for novices:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#whystart

If all you want to do is avoid having to learn how to do titration, you're cheating yourself. You need to know that, no matter what method you use.

Best wishes

Keith

Thanks in advance for all of your help!! this is a great list!

John Guttridge