before each go of it. Once you have your catalyst amount determined re-do the titration to be sure you got it right the first time and use the "Better Titration" method.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#bettertitrate
I have found that a VERY good electronic PH meter and scale are invaluable. They help eliminate those two areas of potential variants. The other sore spot I found to be heat. The processing heat should be 55C (130F), and not considerably lower. A good thermometer helps. http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#lye All about lye and the next one too "How much lye" gives you the groundwork for either NaOH or KOH as a catalyst per volume of mathanol. I have not attempted the two stage method yet nor am I intending to until the one stage has become perfectly clear and I am getting consistant positive results. Everything in it's time.

Luc

To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] methanol recovery/first batch results

John, I am a novice at this too so others should feel free to criticize my remarks.

I would suggest you titrate. This is not so easy at this stage because any free fatty acids in your fuel as you went into the base process are now soap, that is they are neutralized with Na. To convert them back to free fatty acids, I have taken say 10 ml of the product, and mixed it with vinegar strong enough to drop the pH back down to say 3 or 4. This will strip off the sodium. Separate this 10 ml of oil from the vinegar. Now you can titrate as if it were any waste or new oil. I think you are correct in assuming that you should have titrated in the first place. If you find that the free fatty acid is above 1 g/l equivalent NaOH then you will need to be careful when washing not to add much water to the first few washes. Check out the University of Idaho process. They use 5.5% to start out with and mix it up before the glycerin phase is separated off. Then settle for as long as it takes to get clear. But that process assumes you have the correct amount of NaOH or KOH added to your mix in the first place. Since you did not titrate first, you may not have added enough NaOH to neutralize the FFA's as well as catalyze the reaction. So the reaction may not have gone to completion. If you think that that is a possibility, You could always separate the glycerin, titrate as above, add 1/4 the original methanol and enough NaOH to both neutralize as well as catalyze. Then re-react. This second product will probably not drop any glycerin unless there was a lot
of unreacted oil.

I would probably let this batch settle and make a new batch with proper titration. You will learn from the new batch how to deal with the old.

                     John Guttridge
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                     com>                     cc:
Sent by: Subject: [Biofuel] methanol recovery/first batch results
                     biofuel-bounces@
                     wwia.org

                     10/21/2004 09:16
                     AM
                     Please respond
                     to biofuel

what kind of a methanol recovery rate can I expect once I start doing that?

I got the product of my first conversion this morning and it looks straw
yellow but a bit cloudy, should I let it sit to clarify or should I wash
it? will the cloudiness wash out?  does that mean that my reaction is
incomplete? should I add more lye and methanol and reprocess? should I