Responding to several recent e-mails - thanks to all.

Fritz, I've heard that it's easier to split wood when frozen.  However, I don't
plan to be where the wood is this winter - other commitments.  Next winter
could be
another story.

Greg, the spring has potential, but I would have to work against it while doing
the
spliiting.  I'm thinking more of a rope and lever to reduce the muscle work
overall.  I had also thought about making the head-end adjustable (say 2" slot
spacing) to take up the slack, but mostly to deal with various length pieces.

Hoagie, thanks for the link to Harbor Freight.  I have heard there are issues
with
getting to ship cross-border.  On the other hand, a Canadian company may have a
similar product (e.g. Princess Auto).  I'll have to look into that.  However,
the
illustrations may help if I still elect to build my own.

I expect if I build something to work with the hydraulic (jack) cylinder I have
now, I can always convert it later to a screw jack or electrically-driven
hydraulics.

Mel, I have not looked at the HP page you cited yet, but I definitely will.
Must
be from an issue I missed before my subscription started.

Thanks again to all.  For starters though, I'm going to get a new handle for
the
old double-edged axe.  Always had a nice heft, and although originally made for
felling, has always done a nice job of splitting hardwood.

Darryl McMahon