Erik Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Darryl McMahon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Thanks again to all.  For starters though, I'm going
> > to get a new handle for the
> > old double-edged axe.  Always had a nice heft, and
> > although originally made for
> > felling, has always done a nice job of splitting
> > hardwood.
>
> If you have never used a maul, I would definitely
> suggest you trying one. They are designed to split
> wood - that's their main job. When you keep it nice
> and sharp it will make your splitting chores SO much
> easier. I use an 8 pounder, and there's very little it
> won't do. I only have to get out the wedge for rounds
> that are at least 3-4 ft diameter or soppy wet or full
> of knots. It will take care of about anything else.

I have a maul (probably 5 or 6 pounds), and use it more for softwood.  I find
the
narrower blade binds more in softwood.  I have also used a splitting axe (with
the
spreading levers built into it), but didn't care for it so much.  The narrower
blade is lighter, so I find I didn't tire so quickly with it.  I think it
becomes a
matter of taste to some extent, and probably technique.  With big hardwood, I
tend
to work in from the sides with the felling axe.

> If you've used a good maul and still prefer your axe,
> then you can ignore me, of course. :) But using the
> right tool for the job is a huge labor saver.

No question.

> Have fun! (I really enjoy splitting wood. It's almost
> a shame that we have a full pile for this winter.
> Almost.)

I won't claim to enjoy splitting wood with an axe, but it is a great stress
reliever.  There are days I imagine the wood before me is a current problem or
source of stress, and there are times the split pieces simply fly from the
chopping
block.  However, I do enjoy getting outside in the autumn, and splitting wood
is a
good excuse for that, and the potential for labour tends to discourage unwanted
company.

--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?