My two cents:

I think straight vegetable oil is ok if done
correctly. Certainly, bio (soy/canola) diesel is more
easily distributed and ready made but I think there
are regions of high population density than can take
advantage of vegetable oil as fuel source. For
example, Mexico City, Shanghai,New Dehli, other mass
density cities are are excellent opportunities to use
vegetable oil as a source.

At my career in the energy industry we talked about a
"menu of solutions" to solve problems depending on the
situation.