http://www.wintersonnenwende.com/scriptorium/english/archives/articles/jdecwar.html
and there are a plethora of other supporting articles, but this subject has been more than adequately dealt and disposed with, enough.
Luc
----- Original Message ----- From: "bmolloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Biofuel] The Balfour Decision Reconsidered

Hi Luc,
(Snip)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Legal Eagle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 1:24 PM

Hey Gustl;

Few people know that Balfour was a reward for Zionists helping, through
vast
influence and money, to save Britain from a most humiliating defeat at the
hands of Germany. What is also not well known is that Germany had
wanted,in
victory, to call the whole thing off and return things to the way they
were,
having more than amply proven their point and then along come the ever so
opportunistic Zionists and coersed Britain into sticking with the war and
the Zionists would deliver the US into the fray.

Nice argument. Again (see my reply to Gustl) s'pity we can't get the facts
right. The "ever so opportunistic Zionists" (whoever they are) may indeed
have promised Britain pie in the sky but that had no bearing on the decision by the United States to enter World War One against Germany. That was driven
largely by the fact that a victorious Germany would have controlled the
Middle East, then just coming of age as the world's primary oil producer.
However, that alone would not have swung a very reluctant Congress behind
the decision. The
trigger was the sinking of the Lusitania - an ocean liner heading for the
United States with US citizens on board - by a German submarine. As it was, the US waited until the eleventh hour - April 1917, when the Central Powers were falling apart under Allied pressure - before entering the conflict. And only then because an increasingly desperate Germany had declared open season
on all shipping, including US ships.
As for the Balfour Declaration, it was written on November 2, 1917, six
months AFTER the US had declared for war. How does that stack up against the
claim that it was intended as a bribe to American Zionists to bring the US
into the war when they were already part of the conflict? We could of course extend this conspiracy theory further and see a Zionist hand in the decision
by Germany to sink unarmed US ships.
And while we are going on about the Balfour Declaration, it stated
specifically that "nothing shall be done which my prejudice the civil and
religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine". Does that
sound like a pro-Zionist standpoint? The Declaration was immediately
endorsed by the principal Allied Powers and ratified four years after the
war (1922) by the newly formed League of Nations, the fore-runner to UNO. It
should be added that Britain altered its policy on Palestine in 1939 to
limit the total intake to 75,000 refugees with a complete end to immigration
in 1944. Within a year of that decision the appalling facts of the Nazi
holocaust became known. This so horrified the civilized world that British
concerns for the Palestinians were swept aside. By 1948 the United Nations
had accepted the creation of the State of Israel.
Regards,
Bob.