A little historical nitpicking: The U.S. decision to enter World War I
was determined by a number of factors; one was repeated German campaigns
of unrestricted submarine warfare. Another which we tend to forget these
days was American interception of the Zimmerman telegram (carefully
enabled by the British) in which Germany offered Mexico U.S. territory
if Mexico helped Germany against the U.S.

I believe that the American people formed the impression in
1917 that the choice was not between fighting or not fighting, but
between fighting Germany at once when they still had Britain and France
as allies, or fighting Germany alone later when Britain and France had
perhaps been defeated.

At the time of the U.S. entry into the war, Russia was weakening and
soon collapsed, and the Germans although tired and hungry were quite
hopeful that the forces freed for redeployment would enable victory in
the west.

What put the Allies over the top against Germany was the defeat of the
German spring offensive in 1918, militarily primarily by the British and
French. The ability of Britain and France to pursue the war at that point
was considerably helped by large American loans which enable Britain and
France to buy American supplies. There was frequent incidents in the
spring in which victorious but starving German soldiers would capture
Allied supply dumps, and sit down and start eating instead of pursuing
the retreating Allied forces.

The counter-offensive from August 1918 was greatly helped by American
soldiers and the growing American army in France contributed largely to
German desperation and willingness to accept defeat - they knew that
the future would get worse and that if they kept fighting long enough,
Germany itself would be invaded.

Allied tanks (invented independently by the British and the French) which
Germany had not the military perspicacity or the industrial capacity to
match were a crucial technological factor.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada