To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] test batches and the JtF quality test

Hello John

Actually, it takes a brave man to tell a few home truths to John Tillman (aka tillyfromparadise, aka about 30 false IDs created to give the impression of group support) - you run the risk of precipitating a tireless, relentless, truly mindless, vicious and utterly integrity-free hate war against you for the next three years or so. I really hope that won't happen to you. In fact it doesn't even need home truths - what started his hate war against me, Journey to Forever, Aleks Kac (who he's never encountered in any way), Todd Swearingen, Steve Spence, and the Biofuel list? Nothing. That's right, nothing at all. I asked him some questions, that needed asking, without being in any way confrontational or rude or anything, and he decided I'd insulted him. Nobody else could see it, lots of people asked him to come off it, but no. Hate hate hate! Ever since, for the last three years. One sick puppy - a liar, a thief, a plagiarist, a multiple imposter, all very well documented. You can read a history of it here, if you really want to:

Actually there are two of them, they often work in concert. The other one's a total creep named Linscott, who used to be a member here until, to loud public demand, very belatedly, after he'd wrought a lot of harm, he got the boot, also about three years ago or something. He's has lost no opportunity to stir it up wherever he can ever since. There's some background on him here:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/37931/

A right couple of psychos, these two. Apart from the above ref (necessary), instead of using the list as a platform to wage war from, I've been at considerable pains to keep this vomitous stuff away from the Biofuel list - unlike Tillscott, who've taken it everywhere they can and totalled several previously useful forums in the doing, and done the biofuels movement a deal of damage. As if they care. It's easy to be destructive.

And yes, both of them lurk around here whispering their noxious BS to newcomers offlist. There's not much we can do about it, but we figured long ago that if you can't figure that out for yourself you probably won't be able to do much else worth half a damn anyway, and so it's proved, you being a case in point. There's also someone here right now who proves the opposite case in point, but that's his problem. He's going to have to choose, he can't have it both ways.

In fact, interestingly, despite all the wreckage elsewhere, these two maniacs haven't succeeded in doing us any damage at all, not me, nor Journey to Forever, nor the Biofuel list, nor Todd, Aleks and Steve. For our part, only damaging *truths* could do that, and there aren't any.

Anyway, John, I'm glad you put it in perspective, but generally we can do very well without any acknowledgement of this worthless stuff, thankyou very much.

As for this:

I would like to state to the list in general and especially kieth that
no one should take any of this personally.

This is how these creeps can distort things. John, if I got furious and took it personally every time somebody here or elsewhere criticised something at Journey to Forever, how would we ever have developed the resources there the way we have? Criticism and critical thinking are positive, or should be, not just a personal attack. It's a major factor at this forum and one reason we started it in the first place. There's a lot of original work at the Journey to Forever website biofuels section, but even there we can acknowledge a big debt to the Biofuel list and what we've learnt from the group over the years, and I have often acknowledged that. Genuine criticism is of course always welcome, right or wrong. Then it gets debated and the whole thing moves forward. Axe-grinding is not welcome. They're easily distinguished.

And this:

also I have observed that keith frequently expresses frustration that things get gone over again and again

Do I? I've seen other people saying that. I just wish (often!) that more people would make better use of the archives, but also I can remember saying quite a few times that a question's been asked before but no harm in asking again, and pulling previous answers out of the archives for an airing rather than just giving the link. It can generate new responses, and even if not it makes the stuff easier to find in the archives next time.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan
http://journeytoforever.org/
Biofuel list owner

Tilly,

not really trying to say that keith has made a mistake on his site. instead I was asking for more information on how to conduct the test in a reproducible manner. I have a lot of respect for keith and what he does. you seem to lack that and I would be interested to understand why.

I think that it is probably a good test to weed out the grossly under reacted batches and the way too much catalyst batches. I couldn't figure out why I kept following the instructions to the letter and getting batches that failed the quality test. 'it is cold here' seems to be the answer. maybe also 'I have soft water' is the answer.

also your generalized quest against all things JtF gives you very little veracity as I have found that JtF is an invaluable resource. you and the other one that contacted me off list and tried to direct me at some other site seem to both be on another planet than the rest of the community and the rest of the community seems to be happily functioning and making high quality fuel that works well. I wasted a lot of time listening to your advice, when see new people on the list I want to warn them not to listen.

I am scientific and skeptical, unless someone can give me good reasons and solid instructions their advice is usually out the door (often to my own detriment, but at least I really learn things when I do).

John

tillyfromparadise wrote:
Hello John,
It takes a brave man to tell Keith he has a mistake on JTF
You are correct. The water shake test has many problems and at best only picks up Grossly under-reacted batches. Passing the shake test is certainly NOT an indication that the fuel is *"well within the standard specifications"* as claimed on JTF, It is only an indication that the fuel is probably not grossly under-reacted.
You are also correct that what is in the water makes a difference.
Hard water seperates MUCH quicker than soft water.
It is also important to allow the biodiesel to sit at least over night before doing the test. There is NO simple home made test for checking whether your biodiesel meets ASTM or not. I suspect very few people actually achieve ASTM standard biodiesel The best home test is a Viscosity test. These have limitations too as the viscosity of biodiesel varies slightly depending on what the original oil was. But it is a darn site better than the "Shake-em up" test on JTF. But then Keith has officially declaired that viscosity is not an indicator of quality so that is never going to be discussed. I wonder what the penality for telling Keith he has a mistake on his web site is?
Good Luck
Squire Tilly KE
the quality test listed here:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#quality

doesn't have enough information to be reproducible.

separation time seems to be based on a number of factors including but
probably not limited to:

ambient temperature
initial temperature of the H2O and the FAME
<snip>