Kenneth Kron wrote:

I'll quote what I find most interesting. (from http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor8.html)
*
   There is no mixer in the upper stage of the reactor because the
   conversion of oil to ester is favoured by reducing the glycerol
   content. We therefore "encourage" the glycerol to "fall out" of the
   upper zone.

I have been thinking about this allot (brain bored on the drive to massachussets) and I would take the same input (reaction furthered by glycerin dropping out) and instead leave the mixer out of the bottom of the reactor. also since the methoxide floats on top we would want to mix the top of the fluid down to encourage the methoxide getting into the center where the unreacted stuff would be hanging out but let the heavy stuff that has fallen to the bottom stay there as to push the reaction further from equilibrium.