Hello all,

I too have an abundant supply of sawdust available to me since my
brother-in-law owns a sawmill conveniently located on the land
next to mine. I have done some experimentation with the sawdust both in
applying it to sample areas of my garden and in one of my
compost bins. I found that in the test area of the garden it really helped to
hold the moisture in but in an area where I tested
higher amounts it almost acted as a wick drawing the moisture away from the
soil In my compost bin I used a small amount (.05% by
weight) with a healthy mix of green feedstock (grass etc.) and other brown
feedstock (leaves etc.) and it broke down fairly well.
However I would think that using large amounts of sawdust would be prone to
compaction and necessitate "constant" aeration. The fact
that the compost pile is not generating much heat and emitting an ammonia smell
would probably warrant the consideration of using
worms to break down the sawdust in a cool compost pile rather than attempting
to use a hot compost pile. In addition, the worms will
aerate the pile. I'm not sure how well they would do with just sawdust so the
addition newspaper strips and table scraps would
benefit the worms. Having said that, I will plan to set up a vermiculture pile
using primarily the sawdust in the spring to see how
it works. (Insert comments here, Please).
Due to the compaction of the sawdust, yet large quantities available for free,
I am compelled to utilize the resource so I do
include very small amount in my compost piles but will utilize more in my
methane digester that will be coming on line in the spring
as well. I started an activator batch in a small digester in the fall and it
should be ready to load into the production digester in
a few months. I hope to be posting images to a website then as well to document
the experiment.
The other use for the sawdust is simply compressing them into briquettes and
burning them in the shop stove for heat. Yet there is
still a mountain of sawdust at the mill.
The links below have a couple of compost mix calculators that may be of some
use to list members. And the last link is just some
useful information on composting in general.

http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app19/calc/manure/manure.jsp This has sawdust as
possible ingredient.

http://www.georgiahikes.com/lib/compost_calc.htm This does not include sawdust

Here is another good source of information on composting.
http://compostguide.com/

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Tim