Kim - I am not the expert...just giving you my
personal experience...but I am focusing on all the
"more environmentally friendly as can be" compounds
and thus the safer alternative that many experts now
consider are the Borax/Borate based fire retardants.

http://www.universalmaterials.com/support/about.html

These guys are in my own backyard.

Regarding your Proban, I read that with cotton fibre
there is a need for a "mordant" in order to "sticky"
the retardent in order embed into the fibre.  I think
that is why the commericial companies use the
chemicals with the big long names.

Also, in my fire supression days, we weighed the fact
that we could get "burnt to the crisp" versus "wearing
the Nomex or other gear for the one week or two weeks"
of wearing the gear.

But to wear it 24/7....some other reader may know
more.

Good Luck
Phillip Wolfe